Samsung 950 Pro booting problems

ctaylor17

Specs: I5 6600k, Asus z170-a, 8GB hyperx 2666Mhz, Samsung 950 pro 256 GB

Problem: I upgraded from an old hard drive to the 950 pro. I used the Samsung data migration tool to clone the hard drive to the 950 pro. I restarted the system with the hard drive unplugged and everything seemed to go just fine. I downloaded the NVMe driver from the Samsung website and restarted my computer, but when it booted back up the Asus logo screen appeared then after a few seconds it disappeared and went to a black screen. I then powered it off and cleared the CMOS, turned it back on, and entered the bios. I went to the boot menu and forced it to boot to the 950 pro, it worked. I checked to see if it was fixed so I rebooted the computer again, but I got the same black screen. I have tried messing with settings in the bios, reinstalling the driver, but nothing seems to be working. I also tried to reinstall windows to see if that would do anything, but when I selected the drive to install windows on a message said something like "windows can only be installed on a GPT drive". I didn't write it down, so I can't remember the exact message.

I have been trying to fix this for about a week. It has been really frustrating. I hope one of you can help.

You probably need to reinstall windows,

I recently had the same GPT drive issue, I fixed this by disabling Intel visualization in the BIOS, and then cleaning it with diskpart. edit: try this and tell me what happens

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

You probably need to reinstall windows,

I recently had the same GPT drive issue, I fixed this by disabling Intel visualization in the BIOS, and then cleaning it with diskpart. edit: try this and tell me what happens

I was able to reinstall windows, but I am still getting the black screen.