Need Help Selecting the Best CPU

Go to solution Solved by djandyw,

Well i was gonna say you could go with the 5820k but it only has 28 PCIE Lanes. If you can afford a no compromises build with a 5960x i would just go with that. future proof your self + you'll have plenty of power for gaming and content creation. I mean you'll be happy that cpu is a fkn beastt.

Hi, I need some help selecting the best CPU for my new PC build. It needs to have 40 PCIe lanes as i'm planning to have multiple expansion cards including 2 graphics cards and a sound card. I want it to be capable of playing games such as Far Cry 3 and Fallout 4. I also want it to be able to perform content creation such as computer animation and audio editing. I have the budget for a intel i7 5960x but i'm not sure if this is the best option. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I need some help selecting the best CPU for my new PC build. It needs to have 40 PCIe lanes as i'm planning to have multiple expansion cards including 2 graphics cards and a sound card. I want it to be capable of playing games such as Far Cry 3 and Fallout 4. I also want it to be able to perform content creation such as computer animation and audio editing. I have the budget for a intel i7 5960x but i'm not sure if this is the best option. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks

You would probably do best with a 5820k or 5930k. Though the next extreme series should come out soonish.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

Well i was gonna say you could go with the 5820k but it only has 28 PCIE Lanes. If you can afford a no compromises build with a 5960x i would just go with that. future proof your self + you'll have plenty of power for gaming and content creation. I mean you'll be happy that cpu is a fkn beastt.

Get the Intel Core i7 5960X. If you want something a bit cheaper get the Intel Core i7 5930K. They both  have 40 PCIe lanes. The Intel Core i7 5820K only has 28 PCIe lanes.

If you really really need 40 lanes then go for the 5930k. 5960X is quite overkill unless you do heavy editing etc. Or have the money to waste I guess.

CPU: i7 8700k   Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero  RAM: 16GB @ 3600Mhz  GPU: MSI 980Ti 6G  Case: Fractal Design R5 (4 Intakes/3Exhausts)  Storage: Crucial BX100 SSD, Samsung 850 & Seagate 2TB HDD  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo '850W'  CPU Cooling: Corsair H110i GT 

Get the Intel Core i7 5960X. If you want something a bit cheaper get the Intel Core i7 5930K. They both 40 PCIe lanes. The 5820K only has 28 PCIe lanes.

2nd that.

You would probably do best with a 5820k or 5930k. Though the next extreme series should come out soonish.

The 5820K only has 28 PCIe lanes.

5930k. You can save some money and buy other stuff like if you need a mic or better keyboard dunno if you got all that stuff already.

The 5820K only has 28 PCIe lanes.

Which is why i also said 5930k.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

If money isn't an issue, get the 8-core monster. But realistically, the 5930k should do just fine. Six-cores will be optimal for many years into the future. Unless you truly think you'd utilize all 8 cores just stick with the 5930k and save yourself several hundred bucks. 

Just as an FYI, the 40 PCIe lanes is hardly noticeable with two graphics cards. Even if your cards were doing 16x/8x or even 8x/8x, it'd still be a beast. Just my two cents.

TUF GT501 | Ryzen 5600X | 32GB RAM | 480GB SSD | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | TUF X570 Pro

Thanks for the replies guys. From what you guys have said a 5930k would do the job but if I have the budget the 5960X would be more capable for heavy content creation. Thanks again for the help.