What GTX 980 should i choose?

NicorutOvidiu

Hello, can someone recommand a good model of 980 GPU, reading on lots of forums and so on one my fear is about the coil whine, i really don't want a GPU with coil whine and i'm looking for a good GPU mostly for gaming, there are so many 980 i don't know which one to buy. 

My PC specs are:

Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme4

Case : Phanteks Enthoo Pro

PSU: FSP HYPER M 700, 700W

DIMS: HyperX Fury Black DDR4 2133MHz

CPU: Intel Skylake, Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz

BTW: I can find in my country 980 GPU from next brands: EVGA, ASUS, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC, MSI, GAINWARD.

Well not a big fan of AMD, sorry but i'll stick to nvidia. 

And it's more expensive AMD R9 Fury in my country it's about 800 USD and 980 starts from 650 USD

Well not a big fan of AMD, sorry but i'll stick to nvidia. 

And it's more expensive AMD R9 Fury in my country it's about 800 USD and 980 starts from 650 USD

The 390X would be a better choice than the 980. Is there some legitimate reason or is this just plain fanboyism?

EVGA gpu's are great,but the classified and kingpin versions are amazing.

yup

you could also get an EVGA ACX 2.0+ and OC it yourself ;)

otherwise you could take a look at some team red cards, bob jim made a nice lineup, i hope he updated for the new amd drivers etc   >> linked in my signature

Spoiler

CPU i7 4790K 4,7Ghz Cooling:Corsair H100iGTX+Noctua NF-F12PWM GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC+ ACX2.0+ RAM:16GB DDR3 1866mhz Crucial Balistics Tactical Tracer Mobo:ASUS Z97-AR PSU:EVGA 750W G2 Supernova Case:Fractal Meshify C Storage:500GB Samsung 850 evo, 900GB Toshiba Game Storage SSD, 2TB Data HDD

i7 4790k Devils Canyon OC @4,6Ghz,Cooler Corsair h100i GTX, GPU EVGA 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0+ @ stoc

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/278610-display-technology-faqmythbuster/

Well i always thought that intel works beter with nvidia gpu and amd with ati.

And i don't understand all the specifications at radeons gpu how can at same price have double specs at bus memory and memory. Maybe im stupid but for me it's looks fishy..

What about GiGABYTE G1 Gaming i kinda like this one but a friend of mine recommanded me to buy the ASUS one with Strix and DCU 2 cooling

Hello, can someone recommand a good model of 980 GPU, reading on lots of forums and so on one my fear is about the coil whine, i really don't want a GPU with coil whine and i'm looking for a good GPU mostly for gaming, there are so many 980 i don't know which one to buy.

My PC specs are: Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme4

Case : Phanteks Enthoo Pro

PSU: FSP HYPER M 700, 700W

DIMS: HyperX Fury Black DDR4 2133MHz

CPU: Intel Skylake, Core i5 6600K 3.5GHz

BTW: I can find in my country 980 GPU from next brands: EVGA, ASUS, GIGABYTE, ZOTAC, MSI, GAINWARD.

EVGA FTW. MSI Gaming. Gigabyte G1.

As for coil whine, it's really luck of the draw. If you happen to get one you can exchange it for another. Shouldn't be a problem though.

I'd firstly recommend the EVGA followed by MSI.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

And i don't understand all the specifications at radeons gpu how can at same price have double specs at bus memory and memory. Maybe im stupid but for me it's looks fishy..

ATi (now AMD) GPUs will work absolutely fine with an Intel CPU.

Specs isn't something that can be compared easily, especially between different vendors. I would ignore the specs (except for how much VRAM it has) and make your decision based on benchmarks. 

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

No don't do that i own zotac gtx 780 amp and cant oc it at all they didn't even respond to my inquiry.

Nice to know. I'm sorry to hear that. I didn't have any trouble with my ZOTAC GTX 960 AMP! Edition.

I'm on a GTX 980 Ti reference now though ...

[never touch a running system]

CPU and GPU combination doesn't matter. AMD gives you more for your money, that's why most AMD GPUs have much more raw power than Nvidias(however Nvidia excells in efficency) + Nvidia is a lot more shady than AMD(advertising the 970 as having a uniform 4GB of Vram when in actuality it has 3.5GB with a much slower .5GB added on)

EVGA have probably the best support, but I have only good things from Kingpin. The Gigabyte G1 Gaming GPUs look amazing but I have heard some stories of pretty poor support from them.

I understand your reluctance with AMD GPUs, I am so tempted to try one next, but the only GPUs to die on me were team red ones (two on the trot ..).

I suspect that in reality, like for like, AMD v Nvidia you wouldn't see a difference in game, they both produce some stunning results. So if it comes to cost, the cheaper would be the better, which for you is Nvidia in this instance.

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M