Problem with Thermal Throttling

Well, I have deterred from a previous thread,that my computer was thermal throttling. I have since then been able to fix this problem by buying case fans and this seems to do the trick, however, on CS:GO, if my framerates are not capped at 60 (unlimited frames, capped at 144, 201, 301, 501, etc) my CPU immediately begins thermal throttling once every minute. It cools itself off, then slowly climbs back up one degree at a time until it reaches the thermal throttle limit. It seems to be ~ 58 degrees C. If I am to disable thermal throttling in my BIOS, how badly am I going to hurt my CPU (if any) because these temperatures seem far too low compared to Intel CPUs(I have an FX 8350 at the stock 4 GhZ) to thermal throttle at.

What else can I do?This thermal throttle deal only happens when my framerates are not capped at 60 FPS, which is a problem because with my 144 hZ monitor, I can't really utilize it.

Well disabling thermal throttling is a bad idea, though it doesnt exist for good reason. I dont think its a thermal throttle. Reinstall your graphics drivers and retry.

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

It seems to be ~ 58 degrees C. If I am to disable thermal throttling in my BIOS, how badly am I going to hurt my CPU (if any) because these temperatures seem far too low compared to Intel CPUs(I have an FX 8350 at the stock 4 GhZ) to thermal throttle at.

What else can I do?This thermal throttle deal only happens when my framerates are not capped at 60 FPS, which is a problem because with my 144 hZ monitor, I can't really utilize it.

intel and AMD have different safe operating temperatures!!! Intel you can take to 85°c safely, 100°c really.  AMD is around 60°c or so.  DONT disable thermal throttling

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

get a Hyper 212 EVO.

Thats what I would do.

I already have one. Here's a really good question for ya:

Should it be facing horizontal with the one fan on the top of the horizontal cooler, or vertical, with the fan at the right side?

Because right now, the cooler is horizontal, I feel like It's wrong

I already have one. Here's a really good question for ya:

Should it be facing horizontal with the one fan on the top of the horizontal cooler, or vertical, with the fan at the right side?

how are your case fans setup?  you used to have them facing opposite directions, both in the front of the case.  Did you ever change them so that they create airflow through the case?  for example, intake on one side (like the front) and exhaust on the other side (like rear, or top)

how you spin the cooler depends on how the case's airflow is setup

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

how are your case fans setup?  you used to have them facing opposite directions, both in the front of the case.  Did you ever change them so that they create airflow through the case?  for example, intake on one side (like the front) and exhaust on the other side (like rear, or top)

Yeah haha. Currently, I have one fan blowing air in from the front, then one fan blowing the air out at the back. the fan on my actual cpu cooler is on the top of the cooler, blowing air over it. 

My idle temps are perfectly fine btw

Should I move my cooler so that it's vertical, with a fan that blows the air over the cooler, and then at the other side, the exhaust pushes it out? would that be the best idea?

Yeah haha. Currently, I have one fan blowing air in from the front, then one fan blowing the air out at the back. the fan on my actual cpu cooler is on the top of the cooler, blowing air over it. 

good, Ideally you would orient the cooler "vertically" and have the fan on either side of the cooler.  Just make sure that it is blowing air to the back exhaust fan. 

I do not think that will fix your thermal throttling issue though unless you have an improper mount and need to reinstall your cooler.  

good, Ideally you would orient the cooler "vertically" and have the fan on either side of the cooler.  Just make sure that it is blowing air to the back exhaust fan. 

I do not think that will fix your thermal throttling issue though unless you have an improper mount and need to reinstall your cooler.  

How come it's only if I uncap my FPS?

How come it's only if I uncap my FPS?

i believe it is because your cpu does not have to work that hard to produce 60fps.  Then once you unlimit the framerates, then the CPU is making as many frames as it can until it hits it's limit and is working 100% to make as many as possible

edit: id try remounting the cooler and what are your fan speeds like?  are all of them turning up when the CPU temps rises?  especially the fan on the 212 evo

i believe it is because your cpu does not have to work that hard to produce 60fps.  Then once you unlimit the framerates, then the CPU is making as many frames as it can until it hits it's limit and is working 100% to make as many as possible

If I cap them at 144, it happens too

If I cap them at 144, it happens too

thats because that is over 2x as many as the 60fps.  how many fps do you get if its set to unlimited?  Less than or near 144hz?

thats because that is over 2x as many as the 60fps.  how many fps do you get if its set to unlimited?  Less than or near 144hz?

Yeah, between 140-235

If it helps, I also have an r9 290 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 

edit: id try remounting the cooler and what are your fan speeds like?  are all of them turning up when the CPU temps rises?  especially the fan on the 212 evo

How can I monitor fan speeds when the cpu temp rises? Does MSI afterburner do it?

How can I monitor fan speeds when the cpu temp rises? Does MSI afterburner do it?

you should be able to tell by ear if the fan on the 212 evo is spinning up to max.  If it isn't spinning up then you should be able to change that in the "monitoring" section of the bios.  I'd set it to run at 100% by 50°c and you can, let it run lower at a lower temp (like 50% at 30°c).

Afterburner doesn't do it (for me at least, other than GPU fan speed).  Speedfan does report the speeds in the "charts" tab if you use that

Yeah, between 140-235

If it helps, I also have an r9 290 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 

yeah, it's running your cpu closer to 100% when it's set to 144hz.

you should be able to tell by ear if the fan on the 212 evo is spinning up to max.  If it isn't spinning up then you should be able to change that in the "monitoring" section of the bios.  I'd set it to run at 100% by 50°c and you can, let it run lower at a lower temp (like 50% at 30°c).

Afterburner doesn't do it (for me at least, other than GPU fan speed).  Speedfan does report the speeds in the "charts" tab if you use that

never changes... but right now it seems like imnot getting any throttling with my fps uncapped, weird.

never changes... but right now it seems like imnot getting any throttling with my fps uncapped, weird.

I'd get into that bios, crank all your fans to 100%, and then game like crazy or run some synthetic tests and see if you get any throttling then.

are you playing the same parts of the same game?  different scenarios create different usages that produce different temps.

I'd get into that bios, crank all your fans to 100%, and then game like crazy or run some synthetic tests and see if you get any throttling then.

are you playing the same parts of the same game?  different scenarios create different usages that produce different temps.

I'm gonna try that right now, also, do you have to constantly be 144+ frames to get the full 144hz experience, maybe for about a half a second, my frames will drop to like 120-135, that wouldn't really matter because framerates are CONSTANTLY changing right

I'm gonna try that right now, also, do you have to constantly be 144+ frames to get the full 144hz experience, maybe for about a half a second, my frames will drop to like 120-135, that wouldn't really matter because framerates are CONSTANTLY changing right

I do not see as much of a difference between 120-140 fps.  As long as I'm above 75hz-90hz or so I'm happy and I do not think that dips to around 120fps would be noticeable.  I could be wrong though, most of the time I'm running a little bit lower then that.

I do not see as much of a difference between 120-140 fps. As long as I'm above 75hz-90hz or so I'm happy and I do not think that dips to around 120fps would be noticeable. I could be wrong though, most of the time I'm running a little bit lower then that.

Okay so I'm in my bios right now and I have this:

http://imgur.com/ByJGTbH

They are set to full on... There's two options, full on or automatic which do I do?http://imgur.com/h4Vu121

They are set to full on... There's two options, full on or automatic which do I do?

for now, I'd put them to full on and test it out.  Then do any other setting come up with automatic for later?  like percentages and °c?

were they set to full on before?

They are set to full on... There's two options, full on or automatic which do I do?http://imgur.com/h4Vu121

I'd say 45° should be lvl 10.  I think that is what they're going for

for now, I'd put them to full on and test it out. Then do any other setting come up with automatic for later? like percentages and °c?

were they set to full on before?

If it's automatic mode it says TARGET CPU TEMPERATURE the lowest is 45 c

Then target fan speed with a bunch of levels, the higher the level, the faster

If it's automatic mode it says TARGET CPU TEMPERATURE the lowest is 45 c

Then target fan speed with a bunch of levels, the higher the level, the faster

setting it to lvl 10 at 45°c should make it run at 100% once you hit 45°c i think