Help transferring windows install

anybodysguess

I've built alot of computers and installed windows more than a few times, but I have a situation that I don't know how to deal with.

My parents computer needs a reinstall, its running terribly slow, and hasn't had a reinstall in years, I'm going to upgrade their computer with some spare parts at the same time, new CPU, and Mobo, throw in an SSD, add some ram.

They are currently running windows 7, the PC used to run XP and they purchased an upgrade disk.

So, How does one clean install do a different disk (Going from a hdd to an ssd) in a different "computer" seeing as how it will have a new mobo windows will see it as a different machine, with upgrade media/license?

Thanks

I've built alot of computers and installed windows more than a few times, but I have a situation that I don't know how to deal with.

My parents computer needs a reinstall, its running terribly slow, and hasn't had a reinstall in years, I'm going to upgrade their computer with some spare parts at the same time, new CPU, and Mobo, throw in an SSD, add some ram.

They are currently running windows 7, the PC used to run XP and they purchased an upgrade disk.

So, How does one clean install do a different disk (Going from a hdd to an ssd) in a different "computer" seeing as how it will have a new mobo windows will see it as a different machine, with upgrade media/license?

Thanks

Is it possible to put the disk in and choose to install on the SSD ?

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

Hi and welcome to LTT!

I think that if you get a new mobo your license will be written to it, in that way, it will be as a 2nd time it's used. Not sure though, as I bought a copy of Windows 7 as well and installed it flawlessly on 3 computers so far. (I think it has a limit of 3)

Cheers.

┏(◑̃.◑̃)┛ Totally Not Dangerous ┏(◐̃.◐̃)┛

i7 4790K / 16GB RAM \ 250GB SSD

Is it possible to put the disk in and choose to install on the SSD ?

No it would not, because I'm going from AMD to Intel, the old HDD wont even boot if you put it in another system.  I know XP used to be able to swap mobo without reinstall if it was still intel-intel or amd-amd, but not 7, it refuses to boot any times I've tried that.