VGA all good, DVI flickering & blueish image

Formhault

Hi everyone!

So, up until now I have been using an LG monitor, widescreen, 19", LCD, 1440x900 (it's TN, I believe). It is almost 8 years old, and still alive & kicking ! But... it was too small. Or so I thought. So, I figured hey, why not go for a 24"? And so I did. I got a Samsung S24C200, 24", LED, 1920x1080, TN...

Got home, hooked the new monitor on the old DVI cable (that was going from my Radeon 6870 to my old monitor - so the cable works, or at least works with that monitor) and... wow... black screen, no signal. Okay, I hook it up to my parents' PC - on DVI, desktop is green, goes on & off every second, and there are sort of graphical glitches on the screen (as if the GPU is dying - the GPU is alright, though). I hook it up on the VGA side, and everything is fine. Hmm... Okay.

I take it back to the store. They hook it up to a DVI cable - all good ! WHAT?!

So... I buy another DVI cable. Maybe that's the issue? And it sure was - now I do have an image, but... it's flickering, and the colors are off (whites are yellowish, blacks are blue). I also bought a DVI to VGA adapter, so I can plug the VGA port of my monitor to the DVI port of my graphics card (it has two DVI ports, by the way). And... IT WORKS !

So, DVI-DVI (direct) = no bueno. DVI - adapter - VGA = good (although, with VGA, I think there is a loss in quality, so I don't think this is a permanent solution...).

I hooked the monitor to both cables (DVI-DVI and DVI - adapter - VGA), so it's got two inputs. Just for this purpose : so I can switch in between modes (DVI and VGA) and capture it on video, so I can show it to the store (where I will be headed next week) and... show it to you, guys, maybe learn something from all this?

What can I do? I already tried a different DVI cable, and I don't really think it's the cable (remember, the first cable I tried with had been plugged in my old monitor without issues, so...).

VIDEO : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGAECIZ1LS8