Overclocking a reference 980 ti

TYCriswell2

I am new to overclocking, actually never done it before. And I am building a water cooled PC in the summer of 2016 and I was wandering how to overclock a graphics card. I just go done watching Luke explaining factory overclock, and I think I would just want to water cool the GPU and do it myself. If anyone has a handy video or a guide I would be thankful. Keep in mind I am a very visual person so I need to see it be done. A video would be better. Thank you for your help :).

I am new to overclocking, actually never done it before. And I am building a water cooled PC in the summer of 2016 and I was wandering how to overclock a graphics card. I just go done watching Luke explaining factory overclock, and I think I would just want to water cool the GPU and do it myself. If anyone has a handy video or a guide I would be thankful. Keep in mind I am a very visual person so I need to see it be done. A video would be better. Thank you for your help :).

Watercooling the card:

Overclocking:

The 980 ti is limited by its maximum power limit of 110%.  This is still enough to get some reasonable overclocks, however, if you want to get the most out of your card you will have to flash a custom BIOS onto it.  I would recommend this since you are planning to water cool the card and the performance increase can be significant, but that's up to you.

Instructions and modded bios can be found here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club#

Other overclocking results can give you an idea of what to expect:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865303

My watercooled 980 ti with EK Titan X waterblock:

121% power limit

1.281v

1520 mHz Core clock (+330)

7872 mHz Memory (+430) (still tweaking, can probably go higher)

~40 degrees max temp

From what I have observed from other people the 980 ti will usually not go much higher than 1500 mHz, even with higher power limits.

The 980 ti is limited by its maximum power limit of 110%.  This is still enough to get some reasonable overclocks, however, if you want to get the most out of your card you will have to flash a custom BIOS onto it.  I would recommend this since you are planning to water cool the card and the performance increase can be significant, but that's up to you.

Instructions and modded bios can be found here:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1558645/official-nvidia-gtx-980-ti-owners-club#

Other overclocking results can give you an idea of what to expect:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1865303

My watercooled 980 ti with EK Titan X waterblock:

121% power limit

1.281v

1520 mHz Core clock (+330)

7872 mHz Memory (+430) (still tweaking, can probably go higher)

~40 degrees max temp

From what I have observed from other people the 980 ti will usually not go much higher than 1500 mHz, even with higher power limits.

^This BUT... Assuming you don't want to do a bios mod (which while not difficult, certainly isn't for the faint of heart), you should expect to get at least 1482/7800 on a reference model.

To dial this in you want to get your base clock (which is what is modified by OC programs) around 1290 (mem clock to +400 or so) with MSI afterburner. Just find any overclocking guide.

How to bios flash from same guy:

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS