Sorenson Squeeze

JamesHauge
Go to solution Solved by JamesHauge,

just use that, should be more than enough for your purposes.

just upgrade the cpus later down the road, when its not powerful enough

heh :)  Thanks...   I also have a 10 year old server I run at my own house...  when they're ready to upgrade, I may just take this one back to run at my own house and let them buy a new one :D

Thanks a bunch, I'll just do that..  my main purpose for this thread was to find out what was most important for running Sorenson Squeeze, was it gpu, cpu power, lots of memory, or what was most critical so i'd start there and then move on...   duel 3ghz cpu's that are both quad core  (so, 8 cores at 3Ghz each) sounded great to me for a starting point if cpu power is the most critical point...

Thanks a bunch guys!

--James

Aloha from Hawaii!

I've been working on starting a TV Network, and one of the tools I want to use is Sorenson Squeeze.  That being said, i want to have a computer optimized for it so I needed to find out what's most important for this software to use?

I'm looking at getting a duel xeon server class computer that has 2X 3Ghz cpu's with 32 gigs of ram but before I spend the money on this I wanted to find out what it is that the software really needs to run very well and fast...

Thanks for your help everyone!

--James

Aloha from Hawaii!

I've been working on starting a TV Network, and one of the tools I want to use is Sorenson Squeeze.  That being said, i want to have a computer optimized for it so I needed to find out what's most important for this software to use?

I'm looking at getting a duel xeon server class computer that has 2X 3Ghz cpu's with 32 gigs of ram but before I spend the money on this I wanted to find out what it is that the software really needs to run very well and fast...

Thanks for your help everyone!

--James

prob a bit overkill on the exons, i7 5000 should be fine

No, don't get an i7. You want the server grade xeon stuff if you need this to stay stable (which presuming you want to make a tv network, you probably do).

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I thought so too till I started looking on amazon.com and I can get refurbished servers like I described for less then $500...   here's an addon question, does gpu matter with Sorenson Squeeze?  The server class computers I've looked at are all low end graphics like older Intel graphics which is great for a server, but I'm going to be using this for ftp as well as Sorenson Squeeze...

Thanks for the help!

I thought so too till I started looking on amazon.com and I can get refurbished servers like I described for less then $500...   here's an addon question, does gpu matter with Sorenson Squeeze?  The server class computers I've looked at are all low end graphics like older Intel graphics which is great for a server, but I'm going to be using this for ftp as well as Sorenson Squeeze...

Thanks for the help!

Is it for rendering? Because it will most likely only need CPU horsepower.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

Is it for rendering? Because it will most likely only need CPU horsepower.

yes, our network will have people from around the world ftp'ing their weekly (or sometimes even daily) programs to our ftp server, which I want to then have it automatically render the video's into the proper format for us to deal with...   this way, they just send us the video in the format they want, instead of it having to be the specific render settings we require, and once they send it in to us, an hour (or how ever long it takes to render the program) is done and we just copy the file from that server into our systems and put it on the schedule...

so, the cpu is the most important part, and I'm assuming a good amount of memory (I'm look at the 32 gig memory) is what's important?

--James

yes, our network will have people from around the world ftp'ing their weekly (or sometimes even daily) programs to our ftp server, which I want to then have it automatically render the video's into the proper format for us to deal with...   this way, they just send us the video in the format they want, instead of it having to be the specific render settings we require, and once they send it in to us, an hour (or how ever long it takes to render the program) is done and we just copy the file from that server into our systems and put it on the schedule...

so, the cpu is the most important part, and I'm assuming a good amount of memory (I'm look at the 32 gig memory) is what's important?

--James

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkW8D3

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkW8D3/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2699 V3 2.3GHz 18-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($3891.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2699 V3 2.3GHz 18-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($3891.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($99.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($302.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($1392.31 @ Amazon)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar Archive Ha10 10TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: PNY Quadro 6000 6GB Video Card  ($3999.99 @ Directron)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $13849.23

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-30 19:55 EST-0500

obviously

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkW8D3

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkW8D3/by_merchant/

Motherboard: Supermicro MBD-X10DAL-I-O ATX Dual-CPU LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($302.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: Crucial 128GB (4 x 32GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($1392.31 @ Amazon)

Video Card: PNY Quadro 6000 6GB Video Card  ($3999.99 @ Directron)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 1300W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $13849.23

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-30 19:55 EST-0500

obviously

I probably didn't mention it yet, but this is for a Non-Profit 501c3 so price makes a huge difference...

That's why I'm looking at a server that's refurbished....

I've seen some servers that are duel 3Ghz xeon (quad core each) with 32 gigs of ram on ebay and amazon for much less money because I'm buying it out of my own money and when the organization has the money they'll be reimbursing me..

--James

I probably didn't mention it yet, but this is for a Non-Profit 501c3 so price makes a huge difference...

I've seen some servers that are duel 3Ghz xeon (quad core each) with 32 gigs of ram on ebay and amazon for much less money because I'm buying it out of my own money and when the organization has the money they'll be reimbursing me..

--James

ahh,

k,

does make a difference xD

32 core pc

:)

50tb hdd

quadro 6000

overkill ram and psu

:)

--James

ill see what i can do

whats the budget?

ill see what i can do

whats the budget?

i'm looking at just a couple hundred dollars, 300 at most(including shipping and tax)..  that's why I was looking at the refurbished computers on amazon and ebay...

hard drive space isn't too important to start with, 1tb for the ftp/media work is fine and we'll be expanding that as needed down the road...

That's why I'm looking at a server like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Poweredge-Server-3-00GHz-X5450/dp/B00OTYSJHE/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448933381&sr=1-9&keywords=server&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2890656011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7015009011%7C7015010011

then I'd buy two hard drives, one small ssd(or other fast drive)  for the boot os, and one 1tb hard drive..  and, once we need it, to add more hard drives...

--James

i'm looking at just a couple hundred dollars, 300 at most(including shipping and tax)..  that's why I was looking at the refurbished computers on amazon and ebay...

hard drive space isn't too important to start with, 1tb for the ftp/media work is fine and we'll be expanding that as needed down the road...

That's why I'm looking at a server like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Poweredge-Server-3-00GHz-X5450/dp/B00OTYSJHE/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1448933381&sr=1-9&keywords=server&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A2890656011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A7015009011%7C7015010011

then I'd buy two hard drives, one small ssd(or other fast drive)  for the boot os, and one 1tb hard drive..  and, once we need it, to add more hard drives...

--James

heh :)  Thanks...   I also have a 10 year old server I run at my own house...  when they're ready to upgrade, I may just take this one back to run at my own house and let them buy a new one :D

Thanks a bunch, I'll just do that..  my main purpose for this thread was to find out what was most important for running Sorenson Squeeze, was it gpu, cpu power, lots of memory, or what was most critical so i'd start there and then move on...   duel 3ghz cpu's that are both quad core  (so, 8 cores at 3Ghz each) sounded great to me for a starting point if cpu power is the most critical point...

Thanks a bunch guys!

--James