GTX 960 underperforming?

Gileotine

Sup folks.

I got a GTX 960 a little while ago (about six months?) and it's treated me fairly nicely. Plays all my games (though fallout could use a bit smoothing over at around 50 fps), and doesn't go about 60C when under load.

When I first bought this thing, it made my frames in WoW/League go up to hilarious amounts I've never seen before-- somewhere in the 100-200+ range. Now, they're locked to 60 FPS and won't go much higher. It's barely noticeable, but I'm wondering what caused such a steady, consistent drop.

I'm running on an 8-core AMD, GTX 960, 16gig memory, 2tb WD green, (getting a black soon). Two monitors, but only one is used for gaming at any time.

There are a few things I think could be causing such behavior, but I'd like to pass it through you guys.

My PSU seems to be dying. Every day or so it'll shriek like it's fan is being torn off (not coil whine, I know what that is and it's different). I'm replacing it as soon as I find a better deal this cyber monday.

And the GPU itself might be at fault-- some of my games have huge frame freezes that last for a second or so, but y'know. EVGA support is good, and I'll be cross-shipping one soon.

I guess my real question is will a shitty PSU cause things to underperform and damage them... or will a shitty PSU just all together cause things to blow up. I gotta know.

Sup folks.

I got a GTX 960 a little while ago (about six months?) and it's treated me fairly nicely. Plays all my games (though fallout could use a bit smoothing over at around 50 fps), and doesn't go about 60C when under load.

When I first bought this thing, it made my frames in WoW/League go up to hilarious amounts I've never seen before-- somewhere in the 100-200+ range. Now, they're locked to 60 FPS and won't go much higher. It's barely noticeable, but I'm wondering what caused such a steady, consistent drop.

I'm running on an 8-core AMD, GTX 960, 16gig memory, 2tb WD green, (getting a black soon). Two monitors, but only one is used for gaming at any time.

There are a few things I think could be causing such behavior, but I'd like to pass it through you guys.

My PSU seems to be dying. Every day or so it'll shriek like it's fan is being torn off (not coil whine, I know what that is and it's different). I'm replacing it as soon as I find a better deal this cyber monday.

And the GPU itself might be at fault-- some of my games have huge frame freezes that last for a second or so, but y'know. EVGA support is good, and I'll be cross-shipping one soon.

I guess my real question is will a shitty PSU cause things to underperform and damage them... or will a shitty PSU just all together cause things to blow up. I gotta know.

You need to replace that ASAP 3: that can cause a fire/kill your system@PSU

Moist

A sh*tty PSU will explode. Swap it out with a Corsair CX750 or something from Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Silverstone, Fractal Design, OCZ.

All of those brands (which are listed in priority of what I would use) are excellent, and are guaranteed not to explode. ;)

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Thanks for the PSU recs, I'm looking at getting a Seasonic or a Corsair, since those always seem to be on sale and I'm sure Newegg will have quite the selection for me on cyber monday.

I'm running a 620W Antec right now.. it's not even 80 plus certified so.. ehehehehheheEHHEHEHEHE

But will a shitty PSU cause parts to underperform. Sounds obvious I know, but I wanna hear someone say it.

A sh*tty PSU will explode. Swap it out with a Corsair CX750

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH xD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH xD

A sh*tty PSU will explode. Swap it out with a Corsair CX750 or something from Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, Thermaltake, Cooler Master, Silverstone, Fractal Design, OCZ.

All of those brands (which are listed in priority of what I would use) are excellent, and are guaranteed not to explode. ;)

WELL GODS SAKES RECOMMEND ME SOMETHING JESUS