Raid card for home server

hunchback

I am looking to build a home media file server. I want to run some sort of raid (not sure what yet) But i would want a minimum 8 disks. I am thinking raid 5, 6, 5e, or 5ee. I need some suggestions on a good quality raid card. I would rather not go above $500, and i would really prefer to stay below that. But i do understand that you have to spend a decent amount of money to get a decent raid card. It would be preferable to have something that has the capability to add disks to the array without having to rebuild the WHOLE array!

There is no raid card that will allow you to add disks to an array to my knowledge. That's just a limitation of RAID itself. My recommendation is anything LSI, particularly a LSI 9260-8i. It supports every standard RAID level, but it's 530$ or so. Sad fact of the matter is that good RAID cards are expensive.

That all being said, I'd like to present you with another option. Get an ibm m1015 for 100-110$ (it's a host bus adapter with one sff-8087 connector, allowing you connect 4 disks natively) and an intel RES2SV240 for about 275$ (sas expander card with 6 sff-8087 connectors, meaning one input from the imb card and 5 outputs for your disks, allowing you to connect 20 drives for future expandability (and you can daisy chain the cards)).

This will cost you about 400$ and will allow you more expandability in the future, HOWEVER, this is NOT a hardware RAID solution. With this setup you should employ a software RAID solution such as flexRAID, which is much easier to use than hardware raid (and this is coming from a hardware RAID 6 user off of a good lsi controller). flexRAID will allow you to add drives without rebuilding the array, like you wanted. And with processor speeds these days, even on something like a pentium or an i3, software raid isn't really going to be any slower. So that would be my suggestion. Hope that helps!

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial

There is no raid card that will allow you to add disks to an array to my knowledge. That's just a limitation of RAID itself.

Simply not true, most cards will support Online Capacity Expansion (OCE)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Thanks for all the suggestions. Im thinking now to do a software raid because of flexibility and cost. Now i just have to decide which server solution i am going to use.....