Future of SSDs?

So for example, the Intel 520 and 530 series SSD is practically maxing out SATA III at its current speed levels.  I was just wondering what will happen in a year or two? Is SATA going to be updated to keep up with these SSDs? Or will performance stay the same, and take a back seat to further innovation in reliability and power consumption? Or will we be simply moving to PCI Express for a mainstream SSD Interface in the future (next few years or so)...

Just wondering what will happen and if anyone knows what some companies are planning on doing or whatever...Thanks!

ssd's still have lots of room to improve before we need SATA IV

oh dear was that YOUR computer i just downloaded a few dozen viruses on when you weren't paying attention?

I don't know what is planned for the future and whether or not SATA will still remain the norm for consumer SSDs. Even though a lot of SSDs seem to "max out" Sata3 speeds in some areas, I believe they still have plenty of room for improvement in other areas such as random reads and more importantly writes where a many drives perform considerably worse in that respect.

There's already a new SATA spec, SATA Express:https://www.sata-io.org/sata-express

But it's not implemented yet.

Too bad Sata Express is SATA 3.2, so we'll have to wait for 3.1 to come out before that ;_;

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

SATA express is kinda the future, because it is 1GB/s ( future revisions would do better )

we already have RAID cards, and they can use more PCIe lanes, depending on the card of course

we have PCIe SSDs that have over 1GB/s http://ark.intel.com/products/67009

i mean we already have nuts speeds, but the problem is cost, so yeah the SATAe might be a good affordable new option.

The only problem that i can see is for performance LGA-s (1155/1150 replacements ) they have 16 lanes of PCIe so it might be a problem if you have a gpu, soundcard, maybe SLI/CF, so i am afraid this will be enthusiasts only ( 2011 and future revisions )

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Linus talked about this on the WAN show. He was talking about how SSDs still don't max out SATA3 in terms of random performance, because both the controllers and the flash chips aren't up to speed yet on that terrain. The problem is that most manufacterers will not really push that development because the average joe doesn't know what it all means. They just think x MB/s is faster than y MB/s, while in reality drive x might be a lot slower in random performance (which is what makes an SSD so fast for OS/applications).

We might need another SATA revision just to keep the manufacterers upping their game.

ssd's still have lots of room to improve before we need SATA IV

In random performance sure, but SSDs have been able to max out sata 3 on sequential transfers for a while, so no, we could benefit from the next sata revision right now.

Workstation: 3930k @ 4.3GHz under an H100 - 4x8GB ram - infiniband HCA  - xonar essence stx - gtx 680 - sabretooth x79 - corsair C70 Server: i7 3770k (don't ask) - lsi-9260-4i used as an HBA - 6x3TB WD red (raidz2) - crucia m4's (60gb (ZIL, L2ARC), 120gb (OS)) - 4X8GB ram - infiniband HCA - define mini  Goodies: Røde podcaster w/ boom & shock mount - 3x1080p ips panels (NEC monitors for life) - k90 - g9x - sp2500's - HD598's - kvm switch

ZFS tutorial