Need help with a dell server powersupply

Go to solution Solved by bacon,

As far as I know, there isn't one. IF there was one, it probably wouldn't be a good idea, the server is protecting itself from dying. You should just buy the PSU I linked, it's $11. That's less than minimum wage in some states. Anyways, check my edited post above, it could also be a different error. Run the server without the top cover if it will let you and see if anything changes or something different happens than usual.

alright well thank you for trying i'm just gonna order that $11 one maybe 

I have a server power supply (Dell Poweredge 2950) its a 750 watt power supply but it stopped working it would turn on for about 10 seconds then have a orange light appear and then would stop working. I then noticed that the fan wasn't spinning up at the start so I was guess it would just automatically turn its self off it doesn't recognized a fan working so I took out the fan and tried it on a fan controller and the fan worked! But still doesn't work in the power supply so what I thought is the problem is the fan header in the power supply. But I am not %100 sure. So is there any way I could just power the fan from the back of the power supply where all the cables are that wont give it the orange light?

My power supply pinout assignment http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3/1/3/5/4/3/a4875719-98-pinout%202800%202850%20n%203.jpg

Is much more worthwhile to just replace the power supply. You can get seriously hurt if you touch the wrong component and a capacitor discharges into you. Just buy this from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-2950-2970-Server-750W-Power-Supply-PSU-7001072-Y000-NY526-/171967876942?hash=item280a158f4e:g:pA0AAOSwo0JWHVQL

Also, that 2950 is a power hog, I'd recommend an upgrade soon unless your power is dirt cheap or free.

Also, not sure if Dell servers have this but, if there is a panel with error codes or I think dell has a LCD right? Check for error codes on the LCD/Panel, my HP G5 servers have a panel with a orange light to signify if something is wrong with a specific component, eg RAM, PSU 1, PSU 2, CPU1, CPU2. Etc.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Is much more worthwhile to just replace the power supply. You can get seriously hurt if you touch the wrong component and a capacitor discharges into you. Just buy this from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerEdge-2950-2970-Server-750W-Power-Supply-PSU-7001072-Y000-NY526-/171967876942?hash=item280a158f4e:g:pA0AAOSwo0JWHVQL

Also, that 2950 is a power hog, I'd recommend an upgrade soon unless your power is dirt cheap or free.

Also, not sure if Dell servers have this but, if there is a panel with error codes or I think dell has a LCD right? Check for error codes on the LCD/Panel, my HP G5 servers have a panel with a orange light to signify if something is wrong with a specific component, eg RAM, PSU 1, PSU 2, CPU1, CPU2. Etc.

Thats the one i have and i have free power for it but are you sure i cant just trick it to thinking it has a fan then just power that fan from the motherboard or something?

Thats the one i have and i have free power for it but are you sure i cant just trick it to thinking it has a fan then just power that fan from the motherboard or something?

That's really not a good idea. AFAIK, there are 0 motherboard fan headers unless you disconnect the proprietary one in the front of the server then split it with a proprietary chinese adapter and risk drawing to much power from the board and killing it.

It's really much smarter to just buy the PSU and replace it. Also, since it has dual PSU don't you have a 2nd one in it already? Also, while you're buying one, you might even want to buy the 2nd one for redundancy so that you don't need to deal with this again, the server will also run cooler and quieter with 2 PSU, but only if you set the BIOS power settings to split the load.

EDIT:

The PSU itself might not even work enough and the server is protecting itself by not powering on. Also, have you checked the LCD/Panel/Drac for the error yet? Drac might give you an error if the PSU will let the server be in idle/sleep mode, but not fully power the server on.

EDIT2: It might look something like this once you login to Drac or whatever Dell calls it. Red is where to look btw, blue is just removing sensitive info.

wsyPek.png

So for instance, my current issue is the RAID card battery is dead in my DL360 G5.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

That's really not a good idea. AFAIK, there are 0 motherboard fan headers unless you disconnect the proprietary one in the front of the server then split it with a proprietary chinese adapter and risk drawing to much power from the board and killing it.

It's really much smarter to just buy the PSU and replace it. Also, since it has dual PSU don't you have a 2nd one in it already? Also, while you're buying one, you might even want to buy the 2nd one for redundancy so that you don't need to deal with this again, the server will also run cooler and quieter with 2 PSU, but only if you set the BIOS power settings to split the load.

EDIT:

The PSU itself might not even work enough and the server is protecting itself by not powering on. Also, have you checked the LCD/Panel/Drac for the error yet? Drac might give you an error if the PSU will let the server be in idle/sleep mode, but not fully power the server on.

so there's no combination for tricking it to turn on? like at all? 

so there's no combination for tricking it to turn on? like at all? 

As far as I know, there isn't one. IF there was one, it probably wouldn't be a good idea, the server is protecting itself from dying. You should just buy the PSU I linked, it's $11. That's less than minimum wage in some states. Anyways, check my edited post above, it could also be a different error. Run the server without the top cover if it will let you and see if anything changes or something different happens than usual.

alright well thank you for trying i'm just gonna order that $11 one maybe