Need some help.

DaKi_B
Go to solution Solved by vanished,

I plan to mostly game on it, CS:GO and all that jazz. I don't do anything that requires accurate colour reproduction, so it being a TN doesn't bother me that much but anything else at a high refresh rate is very pricey and I'm just looking for some cheaper monitor to play games that need more speed than colour and beauty.

Well I don't think you are going to find anything better than a 1 ms TN @ 144 Hz.  As far as I know, that's the fastest thing out right now, at least if you're talking anything near that price range.

And as for getting something at least equally good for less money, I'm not sure that exists either.  A lot of gaming screens are $500+ or even around and over $1000 so to get this for ~$360 sounds pretty good to me.  I noticed that BenQ XL2411Z seems to be a little cheaper at ~$330 but that might not be the case in your currency, or in places you can order from.  Not to mention the BenQ doesn't appear to claim 3D support, so the ASUS could potentially be faster (in response time) and brighter, despite the other specs being the same, since those numbers are particularly important for 3D.

I need help finding a good and relatively cheap (under €300) monitor with a refresh rate of, or above 114Hz and resolution of 1920x1080.

While I was doing some searching I found the ASUS VG248QE to be a good candidate but I don't know if there might be something better for the price. I thought it doesn't hurt to check :)

Is that actually under 300 Euros!?  oh god...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Is that actually under 300 Euros!?  oh god...

aaaand I'm an idiot.... I pasted the wrong monitor name...

Fixing it right now, my bad.

aaaand I'm an idiot.... I pasted the wrong monitor name...

Fixing it right now, my bad.

Ah, that sounds more reasonable.  I knew our currency wasn't that bad :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Ah, that sounds more reasonable.  I knew our currency wasn't that bad :)

Now that it's fixed, any suggestions?

Now that it's fixed, any suggestions?

Unfortunately I don't have personal experience in front of a ton of monitors, but that being 144 Hz, 1 ms response and also 3D capable are all great signs it should be an extremely fast screen.  That said, speed, and the fact it is TN is going to come with some drawbacks.  If you do any kind of work where accurate and vibrant colours are essential, this is not for you.

Unfortunately I don't have personal experience in front of a ton of monitors, but that being 144 Hz, 1 ms response and also 3D capable are all great signs it should be an extremely fast screen.  That said, speed, and the fact it is TN is going to come with some drawbacks.  If you do any kind of work where accurate and vibrant colours are essential, this is not for you.

I plan to mostly game on it, CS:GO and all that jazz. I don't do anything that requires accurate colour reproduction, so it being a TN doesn't bother me that much but anything else at a high refresh rate is very pricey and I'm just looking for some cheaper monitor to play games that need more speed than colour and beauty.

Well I don't think you are going to find anything better than a 1 ms TN @ 144 Hz.  As far as I know, that's the fastest thing out right now, at least if you're talking anything near that price range.

And as for getting something at least equally good for less money, I'm not sure that exists either.  A lot of gaming screens are $500+ or even around and over $1000 so to get this for ~$360 sounds pretty good to me.  I noticed that BenQ XL2411Z seems to be a little cheaper at ~$330 but that might not be the case in your currency, or in places you can order from.  Not to mention the BenQ doesn't appear to claim 3D support, so the ASUS could potentially be faster (in response time) and brighter, despite the other specs being the same, since those numbers are particularly important for 3D.

The BenQ is €15 less than the Asus, I'd gladly pay €15 for 3D and a DisplayPort I/O. Well thanks for the help man, appreciated it :)

The BenQ is €15 less than the Asus, I'd gladly pay €15 for 3D and a DisplayPort I/O. Well thanks for the help man, appreciated it :)

No problem.  And I think you made the right choice; the more I look at it, the better the Asus seems.  Not only does it have 3D support but you are right it has DP where the BenQ does not, and the Asus has massively higher dynamic contrast (if you use that at all) and also has speakers (if you use that).  And after a little more looking, it does appear that the BenQ also supports 3D but they sure don't brag it up; any time a company is not taking full advantage to show something off, it makes me wonder why :)