Installing SSD in a Notebook.

Ginge620

Ive had a OCZ Agility 3 SSD for my desktop for a while now and i want to put one in my new notebook, the Asus N56VZ.

Ive been looking at the OCZ Agility 4 256GB SSD for it, the N56VZ has Sata 3 so it wont be limited, as well as a 3rd generation intel i7 3610QM.

I dont have a windows 8 install disc because the notebook arrived with windows 8 pre installed so is there a way to transfer windows from the HDD to the SSD or will i have to get hold of a windows 8 install disc?

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

Its not neccessary bro follow these steps to clone your hard disk to your ssd.

PM me for more info I will post the full details if you dont understand

check this guide to do it without anything

http://www.ssdfreaks.com/content/664/how-to-clone-hdd-to-ssd-with-windows-7s-own-software

or buy this ocz kit locally in your country...

http://www.flipkart.com/ocz-ssd-internal-hard-drive-upgrade-kit-oczssdupgdkit1/p/itmdg6hgb7b77xhf?pid=IHDDG6JZSNV8FDZE&ref=20afc9c6-53bf-4004-a5cb-1a7e3b12d8de

Thanks, one other thing what software is best for making an image of a HHD with windows on it?

PC 1 Specs (New) :

Corsair 450D | Intel 4770K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz | Asus STRIX GTX 970 SLI | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | 2 WD Black 500GB RAID 0 | WD Red 3TB | Corsair AX860 | Corsair H110 | 4 Corsair 140mm LED & 1 120mm Fans

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Corsair 650D | AMD Phenom II X6 1100T | Asus Crosshair IV Formula | 4GB Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz | Crossfire HD6970's | Asus Essence STX | OCZ Agility 3 240GB| WD Blue 250GB | WD Green 640GB | XFX850PRO | Corsair H100i

Peripherals :

BenQ 2420T | Packard Bell Viseo 220DX | Corsair K70 | Corsair M65 | Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium | Sennheiser PC360 | Bang & Olufsen Beovox X25's

I would get a Samsung 830, it has proved to be very reliable and it just seems like a better choice for me. Samsung also has Data Migration Software which clones all your data to the new SSD very quickly and nicely.

If you get the 830 Laptop Kit you also get a SATA to USB adapter so that you can transfer all your data even if your notebook only has space for one drive.

Watch out when you clone new asus laptops with windows 8. especially ultrabook branch where the windows key is in the bios. they are working with UEFI bios. Ghost and Acronis doesn't work. I had a DoA S56 to clone and the only soft who worked properly was Paragon for windows 8. Anything but Paragon turned to corrupted OSes and BSODs.

That bios thing is interesting, mine is a notebook not an ultra book so maybe it wont do that. Also i only really need the software cos i can plug the SSD into my into my desktop PC but im not sure how the drive cloning will work, can i clone the HDD in my notebook into a file then move the file to my desktop.

PC 1 Specs (New) :

PC 2 Specs (Old) :

Peripherals :

You either need an enclosure/adapter to put the ssd in or hook up both the laptop's drive and the ssd to your desktop to do the cloning. As for software I've used EaseUS backup for doing the same thing more than once and it's worked great. You can just grab a trial of it at http://www.easeus.com/backup/

Also as a side note its totally legal to download a windows 8 .iso and burn it to a disc if you need a physical copy

Just remember that if your notebook is relatively new remember that opening it up will void the warranty on it.
Actually a lot of warranties allow you to replace HDD and RAM

If worse comes to worse and you have to ship the laptop in and you think it might be a problem, just switch the drives back

A lot of laptops even have easily accessible hatches on the bottom that let you do it quickly and easily, so I doubt it would void the warranty

Exactly what Pyromaniacc said

You can get the Windows 8 .iso from MyDigitalLife

It's the exact .iso Microsoft provides on their MSDN service and the retail disc, and if you're worried it's been tampered with you can check the MD5 hash to make sure it's legit

This is totally legal, because you still need the product key to activate the license, which should have been provided to you on the bottom of the laptop, the box, or some CD or manual the laptop came with

If you run into any issues and can't find your key or need special OEM installation media, contact the laptop manufacturer and tell them that you reformatted your computer because of issues and need to key or .iso from them to reinstall