Have to reseat my gpu every time I restart

OrrinB

This is a new build and after getting my system updated with latest bios and gpu drivers, after I restart I lose gpu output. I have to connect to onboard graphics, disconnect gpu from mobo, and restart and boot normally. Then shutdown, reinstall my gpu and it works fine. But as soon as I restart or shutdown my computer I have to do this process all over again. Would need expert advice please.

i7 4790k

MSI Gaming 5 mobo with bios v1.12

MSI GTX 980ti 6G with latest drivers

Not an expert advice but I would check the output line (try HDMI or DP), also the use the supported motherboard slot on the gpu (see mobo manual) per CPU lane.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Not an expert advice but I would check the output line (try HDMI or DP), also the use the supported motherboard slot on the gpu (see mobo manual) per CPU lane.

When i connect my gpu to my display i use DP, also i plugged my gpu into pci slot 1 like the mobo manual suggests. ive updated my bios and gpu drivers but unable to resolve this issue

Does the motherboard give a QCode?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Does the motherboard give a QCode?

d6 is the debug code it gives upon startup, hangs at d6. So this is when i have to take my gpu out and restart with onboard video, then immediately shutdown and reinstall my gpu and everything works fine again.