AstroPhotography

alexgscraft

I have recently got access to a FLI Microline camera with a filter wheel, which are both mounted to a large telescope and a mount which I control with TheSkyX Pro. I am able to focus the telescope to an object, but when I try to use the FLI grab software to take a picture, I get a black image with a lot of small dots, and very low clarity, I tried different exposure times aswell. I will try using the equiment again tonight and check if the filters and the camera are installed correctly.

what kind of exposure times are you taking about? depending on the telescope, you might need an exposure of 15-20 seconds just to get some stars in the picture. If you are trying to capture celestial objects like a nebula, you will likely need many very long exposures that you would stack in post processing.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I have recently got access to a FLI Microline camera with a filter wheel, which are both mounted to a large telescope and a mount which I control with TheSkyX Pro. I am able to focus the telescope to an object, but when I try to use the FLI grab software to take a picture, I get a black image with a lot of small dots, and very low clarity, I tried different exposure times aswell. I will try using the equiment again tonight and check if the filters and the camera are installed correctly.

Which exact series of FLI Microline camera?  What sort of telescope?

I can help you set things up correctly for astrophotography, I've done it several times with my DSLR.  But this is the first time I've seen anyone using a Microline for it.

I also suggest you go and post this question on a proper astrophotography/stargazer forum.  I'm certain there are many more people experienced with using such a camera there than on this non-photography forum.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Which exact series of FLI Microline camera?  What sort of telescope?

I can help you set things up correctly for astrophotography, I've done it several times with my DSLR.  But this is the first time I've seen anyone using a Microline for it.

I also suggest you go and post this question on a proper astrophotography/stargazer forum.  I'm certain there are many more people experienced with using such a camera there than on this non-photography forum.

Thanks for the help, I will try getting the exact names of all the equiment. What are the best astrophotography forums?

Thanks for the help, I will try getting the exact names of all the equiment. What are the best astrophotography forums?

I don't know which forums are good, just do a google search.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer