SLI and Vram

binh thanh le

i planning to get the x34 g sync predator monitor. here are something i want to know. 1st i prefer the reference cooler more than the custom as i will run in 2x sli, however the gpu will run significantly hotter so how much of a lifespan reduction i'm looking at in years. also i know 3440x1440 is about 5mill and i'm quoting here and 4k is 3820x2160 which is about 8.2 mill so a there quite a gap but shadow of mordor used more than 6gb of ram at ultra high 4k (more ram no benefit but less ram all hell break lose) and i planing to have an 1080p connect to the ultra wide monitor for work along side gaming so it ram up the vram quite a bit. so do i had to suck up and get titan x or 980 ti is enough

i planning to get the x34 g sync predator monitor. here are something i want to know. 1st i prefer the reference cooler more than the custom as i will run in 2x sli, however the gpu will run significantly hotter so how much of a lifespan reduction i'm looking at in years. also i know 3440x1440 is about 5mill and i'm quoting here and 4k is 3820x2160 which is about 8.2 mill so a there quite a gap but shadow of mordor used more than 6gb of ram at ultra high 4k (more ram no benefit but less ram all hell break lose) and i planing to have an 1080p connect to the ultra wide monitor for work along side gaming so it ram up the vram quite a bit. so do i had to suck up and get titan x or 980 ti is enough

980 Ti should be fine.

Games will cache extra data in VRAM when it's available to reduce how often it needs to juggle things around between HDD, system RAM and VRAM. It doesn't always require this though. For example I can play GTA 5 on my GTX 760 2GB with High textures just fine... no massive framedrops or anything, and VRAM usage is in the neighbourhood of 1800-2000MB. But if you played on the exact same settings with the 4GB version you'd see VRAM usage well above 2GB just because it's there. Basically games will use extra VRAM if it's available just in case.

Also running an extra monitor just for desktop use doesn't add a significant amount of VRAM requirements, so don't worry about that.

GTX 980 Ti will be enough. Go nuts.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Games will cache extra data in VRAM when it's available to reduce how often it needs to juggle things around between HDD, system RAM and VRAM. It doesn't always require this though. For example I can play GTA 5 on my GTX 760 2GB with High textures just fine... no massive framedrops or anything, and VRAM usage is in the neighbourhood of 1800-2000MB. But if you played on the exact same settings with the 4GB version you'd see VRAM usage well above 2GB just because it's there. Basically games will use extra VRAM if it's available just in case.

^^^ So much this.

I'm linking this yet again: http://techreport.com/blog/28800/how-much-video-memory-is-enough

you're good with a 980Ti. The Titan X doesn't really make sense...

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz