Used graphics cards

Giggidy25

I am looking into building a pc for gaming. I started putting parts together and posting some topics, then realized what am I doing I can't afford a $800 build!! So I gave ( as of right now) the r9 390 and started looking around. And after watching scrapyard wars I got interested in a used gpu off of eBay. Looking through the options they have I could get a 280x for ~$130 or a 290 for under ~$200 if I'm lucky. Those are very good deals on those cards but they are used. So obviously there's that problem. Is it a good idea to get the cards off of eBay or is it totally not a good idea and you should buy new.

For a background my main game is World of Warcraft and right now I can't play it above 30 fps at low so I would like an upgrade. It would be great to play on ultra 60+ fps or high if necessary. Will the 280x hit that, overkill, or not enough.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Gigidy/saved/Z4krxr

That's kinda what I had with the 390 at $800 I just changed the gpu. Unless I somehow get a couple more hundred this is probably the most I could afford for a long while, and I want to build it as soon as I can.

Also couldn't I crossfire the amd cards pretty easily? If I got something like the 280x could I crossfire with a 390 or something later? Or is that just completely stupid.

Last thing, will I have to buy the windows 10 at full price? I have heard both that you could buy windows 8.1 then upgrade to 10 and you can't upgrade you will have to just buy it.

Thanks you guys for responding, I really appreciate it if you read it all.

You could get a card off EVGA's b-stock (refurbs).  My 770 is a b-stock card and I've had no problems in the month or two I've had it.

Just make sure you have the accessories you need as they don't come with them.

I think there's a way to get windows for pretty cheap using like keys from reddit I don't know I'm not the person to ask for that.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

I'd stay away from used parts if possible, I'm sure you can find decent used components but it's not worth the risk for me.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

I'd stay away from used parts if possible, I'm sure you can find decent used components but it's not worth the risk for me.

What about refurbished

Used parts are great. just make sure you test it.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Used parts are great. just make sure you test it.

How would you test it?

How would you test it?

Put it in a system 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Like just see if it turns on?

turns on and performs like it should.

How about the performance of a 280x in wow? Also crossfire or nah?

Used cards are great man, just make sure it's still under warranty and/or warranties transfer.  Also be sure to see if it was used for coin mining and/or if it was overclocked.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Used cards are great man, just make sure it's still under warranty and/or warranties transfer. Also be sure to see if it was used for coin mining and/or if it was overclocked.

Would an xfx card be a good choice because of their lifetime warranty? Also is the only way to find out if it was used for mining is asking the owner

I buy used cards, CPU's, and even mobos all the time. Funny thing is I've had far more new than used parts fail on me...go figure.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Would an xfx card be a good choice because of their lifetime warranty? Also is the only way to find out if it was used for mining is asking the owner

XFX doesn't offer lifetime warranties on all of their cards, so be sure to look into that before you purchase.  Also, ask the owner.  It's better to be safe than sorry.

OS:Windows 10 Pro |  CPU:Intel Core i7 4790k | GPU:ASUS STRIX GTX 970 | RAM:Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) | MoBo:ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Storage: 500GB Crucial MX200 SSD, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD (x2) | Monitors:Acer XB270HU/ASUS VH238H | Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Chroma w/ Razer Greens | Mouse:Razer Deathadder Chroma | Headset:BeyerDynamic DT990Pro w/ Antlion Modmic

Pretty much. My dumb logic though is that if it held up for mining and extreme OC'ing, it will hold up for my 24/7 Google searching.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

I am looking into building a pc for gaming. I started putting parts together and posting some topics, then realized what am I doing I can't afford a $800 build!! So I gave ( as of right now) the r9 390 and started looking around. And after watching scrapyard wars I got interested in a used gpu off of eBay. Looking through the options they have I could get a 280x for ~$130 or a 290 for under ~$200 if I'm lucky. Those are very good deals on those cards but they are used. So obviously there's that problem. Is it a good idea to get the cards off of eBay or is it totally not a good idea and you should buy new.

For a background my main game is World of Warcraft and right now I can't play it above 30 fps at low so I would like an upgrade. It would be great to play on ultra 60+ fps or high if necessary. Will the 280x hit that, overkill, or not enough.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Gigidy/saved/Z4krxr

That's kinda what I had with the 390 at $800 I just changed the gpu. Unless I somehow get a couple more hundred this is probably the most I could afford for a long while, and I want to build it as soon as I can.

Also couldn't I crossfire the amd cards pretty easily? If I got something like the 280x could I crossfire with a 390 or something later? Or is that just completely stupid.

Last thing, will I have to buy the windows 10 at full price? I have heard both that you could buy windows 8.1 then upgrade to 10 and you can't upgrade you will have to just buy it.

Thanks you guys for responding, I really appreciate it if you read it all.

Get an older Nvidia card, you can buy GTX 670s off ebay for $100-$120.

WoW_Warlords_of_Draenor_GPU_Benchmark_10

Get an older Nvidia card, you can buy GTX 670s off ebay for $100-$120.

WoW_Warlords_of_Draenor_GPU_Benchmark_10

Why would I do that if I could get a 280x for just a bit more

Why would I do that if I could get a 280x for just a bit more

Because the 670 smashes the 280x in that benchmark I posted for Warlords of Dreanor. Plus you don't have to worry about the 670 being used for cryptocoin mining since Nvidia cards have always been crap for it. Whereas the 280x was extremely popular for mining LiteCoin, lots of the 280x you see on eBay were probably mining 24/7 for months.

HgEWYSe.png

Anyways, here would be a great build for that game if you're willing to go the used GPU route.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($176.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ NCIX US) 
Other: GTX 670 off eBay ($120.00)
Total: $550.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 02:16 EDT-0400

Because the 670 smashes the 280x in that benchmark I posted for Warlords of Dreanor. Plus you don't have to worry about the 670 being used for cryptocoin mining since Nvidia cards have always been crap for it. Whereas the 280x was extremely popular for mining LiteCoin, lots of the 280x you see on eBay were probably mining 24/7 for months.

HgEWYSe.png

Anyways, here would be a great build for that game if you're willing to go the used GPU route.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($67.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($50.89 @ OutletPC)

Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)

Other: GTX 670 off eBay ($120.00)

Total: $550.52

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-12 02:16 EDT-0400

How does the gtx 750 ti beat the 280x??

How does the gtx 750 ti beat the 280x??

I'd guess it's because of AMD's higher DirectX11 overhead compared to Nvidia's DX11 drivers. See this article below where they discuss this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-nvidia-geforce-gtx-960-review

However, this overhead problem usually only manifests itself on i3 or lower, as outlined in the article. MMOs are notoriously CPU bound to a degree that AAA games aren't, so perhaps this is why you're seeing a card as strong as a 280x performing so poorly in this benchmark. The 280x is massively more powerful than a 670 for the vast majority of games out there though when combined with an i5.

If you do buy a 280x, spend the extra $70 to buy new. Mining takes a hell of a toll on these cards. The 290 is another card heavily used for mining which I'd hesitate to buy used, but a couple of days ago you could get a new PowerColor TurboDuo R9 290 for like $235 after a $20 or $30 rebate. I don't know if the deal is still there, but that's the price to performance king by far right now for AAA gaming (e.g., Far Cry 4, GTA V, etc).

What about refurbished

Refurbished usually doesn't mean anything. I could buy something from someone wipe the dust off and call it refurbished.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540