All OSs freeze on boot, even from USB

Craving_Bacon
Hi,

** Edit: In the end it turned out to be a fault with the CPU. AMD sent me a free replacement under warranty, and actually upgraded me to an 8350! Thanks AMD :) **

Basically I can't boot from anything - I've tried 2 separate installs of windows (one on an SSD, one on an HDD), and even linux on a USB stick.

Here's a summary of the problems I've encountered / steps I've attempted:

Windows 10 install with SSD

==========================

1. Had a working windows 10 install on my machine.

2. It froze when I was browsing the internet -> I pressed and held the power button.

3. When it rebooted, got to the windows logo with the spinning dots.

4. The spinning dots froze but then CPU fan ramped up to 100%, got quite hot. No HDD activity based on the indicator light.

5. Hard rebooted -> got "Preparing automatic repair" screen with spinning dots.

6. Stuck in a boot loop.

7. Disconnected all peripherals + HDMI, no change

8. Changed SATA cable / SATA port on motherboard, no change

Windows 7 install on HDD (from another computer I don't use any more, had never been plugged into this machine before now)

1. After windows 7 loading logo, got a blue screen of death:

-----

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDKS /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0X0000007B (0xFFFFF88000

-----

2. Rebooted -> launch startup repair froze again on a loading screen

3. Still in a boot loop

Ubuntu installed on a USB stick

1. Unplugged all peripherals except for the USB stick, then booted.

2. Got to loading screen with circles

3. Froze again after 2/4 circles, CPU started ramping up again, I rebooted it

4. Took RAM out, put 1 stick back in in another slot, no change.

So what do you think I should do now? Could this be a motherboard / CPU issue? I'm totally stumped here!

PC Specs

===========================

OS: (The install where the issues started was Windows 10, which was upgraded from 7) 

CPU: AMD FX8320

Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0

RAM: 2 x Hyperx Blu 8GB)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660

Storage: OCZ solid 3 SSD 

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried booting without your GPU installed? Also, did you try memtest?

Do you have some spare parts? If so, try switching out certain parts to try and isolate the problem. If none of that works, it's a CPU/motherboard related problem. You can try re seating your CPU, otherwise I dunno.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Hi, yeah I tried without the GPU once with the windows 10 SSD but didn't seem to do anything different. Plus the motherboard doesn't have any on board graphics. I'm not sure it even got past post because there was a light on the motherboard for VGA.

I haven't tried memtest? I can still get into the UEFI bios - that seems unaffected.

Yeah I have another machine I use as a backup server, guess I can try the ram / CPU from that.

It'll be tomorrow before I can do any more though.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you posted.

Might be a stupid question, but have you tried booting without your GPU installed? Also, did you try memtest?

Do you have some spare parts? If so, try switching out certain parts to try and isolate the problem. If none of that works, it's a CPU/motherboard related problem. You can try re seating your CPU, otherwise I dunno.

Hi, yeah I tried without the GPU once with the windows 10 SSD but didn't seem to do anything different. Plus the motherboard doesn't have any on board graphics. I'm not sure it even got past post because there was a light on the motherboard for VGA.

I haven't tried memtest? I can still get into the UEFI bios - that seems unaffected.

Yeah I have another machine I use as a backup server, guess I can try the ram / CPU from that.

It'll be tomorrow before I can do any more though.

Thanks for the reply, I'll keep you posted.

Alright, just let me know if it works.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Okay, so I've got a little further.

Here's what I tried (booting to USB linux):

1. Changed GPU from GTX 660 to an old AMD one (not sure of the model number) (problem persists)
  2. Unplugged front USB + HD Audio from motherboard (problem persists)
  3. Ran memtest from a USB drive -> No problems detected (problem persists)
  4. In bios, selected "Load optimized defaults" & disabled fast boot (problem persists)
  5. Flipped EPU switch on motherboard to ON (problem persists) (changed switch back to OFF)
  6. Reseated CPU by taking out / putting back in (problem persists)
  7. Removed SATA / 6PIN / molex cables from PSU which were't plugged into anything (now just the Motherboard cables are connected)(new error message)

Before getting to the OS loading screen where it would normally hang, I now get this:

post-52221-0-35486800-1441740575_thumb.j

Booted and froze on this for 2 restarts, now back to the original freezing on loading screen with ubuntu logo. I think it must've just frozen even earlier than normal this time. About to try a different power supply...

Alright, just let me know if it works.

Okay so I've put a known good power supply in and still the same problem persists, changed ram to a different 4GB dimm and no changes... :/ Going to try a different CPU, if not its got to be the motherboard

Okay so I've put a known good power supply in and still the same problem persists, changed ram to a different 4GB dimm and no changes... :/ Going to try a different CPU, if not its got to be the motherboard

Not good, it can only be the CPU or Motherboard (which you already know), most likely the motherboard. I just don't know why it would suddenly go bad for no reason.

After testing the CPU another thing you could try is flashing the BIOS, but I seriously doubt that's the problem. I guess you could to return the motherboard depending on how long you've had it, I dunno. If all else fails, you'll have to buy a new motherboard, you can get them pretty cheap for about 50$, but I wouldn't buy one that cheap.

Well, sorry I couldn't help. :(