Strange issue with fan controller

I've recently upgraded my case into a nzxt phantom 410. I mounted it myself (it was my first time actually building a pc) And I noticed it comes with a handy dandy fan speed controller with 3 steps: Low, Medium, or High.

I've also noticed that whenever I turn the speed on the fans to the lowest speed for silent operation, my cpu usage ramps up to 50-60% even at idle. However, when I turn the speed up to the maximum level, my cpu drops to 0-5% usage, and my fps in WoW go up by 10 in Orgrimmar, from 48 to 60.

In this link you can see what happens when I turn my fan speed to max: https://i.gyazo.com/a636491338dda5db5bac89677ba6005d.gif

Notice the drop in both CPU Usage and temperature.

Here are my specs in case they help:

Case: NZXT Phantom 410 Running default fan configuration

MoBo: ASRock N68C-GS-FX (recycled, pending upgrade)

RAM: Single-stick of Kingston 1600Mhz ValueRAM for a total 4Gb of RAM

Graphics: Gigabyte's AMD R7 260X OC 2Gb of GDDR5

CPU: AMD FX 6300 Running at stock speed and cooled by a Master Cooler Hyper TX3

Storage: Single 1Tb HDD

PSU: Tacens Mars Gaming MP600

Running windows 10's latest version

Thank you for your attention.

As a secondary note, ever since I installed windows 10, I can't open up Speccy, I will just get a BSOD if I do. Does this happen to anyone else?

The temps and usage you are seeing have no connection to your fan controller. The FX range of CPUs calculate temps based on an algorithm and only show an accurate temp when under constant load. The FPS gain? Can't comment, but it will have nothing to do with your fan controller.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Thanks for the quick and informative response.

I can also make no direct connection, but it is undeniable that the cause of that drop in cpu usage and the fps gain is caused by changing my fan controller's speed, which is why I came here to consult with those that know more than I do. It may have nothing to do with the controller, but it certainly doesn't look like it doesn't given the many times it's happened, either changing the speed when I put a different load on my cpu, or when I change the speed to test this issue.

I made a last test in the same game because it is cpu intensive, turning all the details to the max settings, specially render distance, and then I tried again.

The FPS Gain this time moved from 27FPS to 44. My CPU Temp dropped from 36 to 33 instantly, but I couldn't see the cpu usage in time.

Could there really be no connection at all between them?

Thanks for the quick and informative response.

I can also make no direct connection, but it is undeniable that the cause of that drop in cpu usage and the fps gain is caused by changing my fan controller's speed, which is why I came here to consult with those that know more than I do. It may have nothing to do with the controller, but it certainly doesn't look like it doesn't given the many times it's happened, either changing the speed when I put a different load on my cpu, or when I change the speed to test this issue.

I made a last test in the same game because it is cpu intensive, turning all the details to the max settings, specially render distance, and then I tried again.

The FPS Gain this time moved from 27FPS to 44. My CPU Temp dropped from 36 to 33 instantly, but I couldn't see the cpu usage in time.

Could there really be no connection at all between them?

Having owned this FX CPU for many years now, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with your fan controller and is coincidental. The render distance etc, the harder your CPU needs to work, the hotter it will get, that's why stress tests heat up your CPU more than gaming will. The instant temp changes are from the load changing on the CPU as it uses an algorithm as stated before.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd