-The Manipulator- (router/linux box)

Atomicnerd64

I got some free stuff and I decided to build a router because my crappy ISP PROVIDED (those words make me cringe) router is just shitty and not good enough. I got a socket 478 motherboard with a P4 and a 512MB stick of ram. I had stolen some hard drives and some other expansion card along with a slot intel mobo from the basement from where my mom used to work. I tested the drives and only a quantum one spinned up. I wil try to use that one. here are some pics for the start:

the motherboard with the ram and heatsink. also a failed sexyshot of the P4(I should probably lap it to even out the surface but until I validate it's working I won't put unnecessary work and effort into it):
post-1339-0-35365800-1440807167_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-13149100-1440807215_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-25797600-1440807273_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-21565900-1440807331_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-19485600-1440807397_thumb.jp

here is the working hard drive and the card I'm going to use to connect it

post-1339-0-31493100-1440807994_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-32205200-1440808096_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-55463100-1440808160_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-49614900-1440808200_thumb.jp

I also got a noname 400W power supply with the motherboard cpu and ram. all for free :) 

Here is the bad news. No POST. some of the capacitors on the motherboard seem to be baldging which is a bad sign. that's why I bought this:
post-1339-0-43430000-1440808463_thumb.jp

15 euros with shipping. I'm pretty happy. I'll test it when it comes here. I hope that in the next 4 days it will be here. I will be buying a nic for it because pf sense requires 2 nics to function (wan + lan). I am super exited for this. no case atm. if it works I might put it on a spare piece of wood I have. so yeah...about the name...it will manipulate the traffic on my network so I thought it was appropriate. thank you all :)

post-1339-0-35365800-1440807167_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-13149100-1440807215_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-25797600-1440807273_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-21565900-1440807331_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-19485600-1440807397_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-31493100-1440807994_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-32205200-1440808096_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-55463100-1440808160_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-49614900-1440808200_thumb.jp

post-1339-0-43430000-1440808463_thumb.jp

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

DUDE! MEMORIES! 

P4 3.0GHz Hyper Threaded FOR THE WIN! 

SUCH A FANBOY! 

*CRINGE*

EDIT: OMG....IS THAT....AN AGP PORT? *_________*

Primary: Lenovo T61 / Intel Core2Duo T7200 @ 2.2GHz / 3GB DDR2 / NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M / Fedora 22 <<<< THE WHITE KNIGHT

Secondary: Compaq Presario CQ56 / AMD V130 @ 2.3GHz / 2GB DDR3 / AMD Radeon HD 4250 / Windows 8.1 <<< THE FORGOTTEN HERO

DUDE! MEMORIES! 

P4 3.0GHz Hyper Threaded FOR THE WIN! 

SUCH A FANBOY! 

*CRINGE*

EDIT: OMG....IS THAT....AN AGP PORT? *_________*

I have an AGP graphics card. probably should have said that

I am a member of the PCMasterRace. I am terribly sad to announce that I own a PeasantStation 3 Super Slim. it's in a drawer away from my glorious PC.
F@H stats:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=AngelKoura

I have that exact mobo but smaller. 

there was the smaller version in one of the computers in the basement but I couldn't unscrew 4 of the screws that hold the motherboard to the standoffs so I didn't take it with me.

I would never run a router on hardware like that, very power hungry and very little benefit.

Comb it with a brick

I would never run a router on hardware like that, very power hungry and very little benefit.

it's just experimenting. I am getting a linksys one for christmas and I wanted to experiment with pfsense. the linux box thing is because I will likely end up running Xubuntu or Lubuntu or ZorinOS on it. It might end up being my mom's first personal computer if I don't want it. 

Well if you are into experimentation, try OPNsense, I prefer it over pfSense.

Comb it with a brick

Well if you are into experimentation, try OPNsense, I prefer it over pfSense.

thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. open media vault is something I want to try for a nas solution, do you know anything about it?

thanks for the suggestion. I will try it. open media vault is something I want to try for a nas solution, do you know anything about it?

Open media vault is ok, I personally don't use it.

Comb it with a brick

Open media vault is ok, I personally don't use it.

I am more of a freenas guy. you?

Ah, an Intel processor from back in the day when they were still using proper sockets, instead of those fragile things they have today. I actually recently bought a cheap second-hand AMD K8 processor myself, for my HTPC, so I certainly get the idea of working with early 2000s hardware for a low performance machine, if only for nostalgia's sake...

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Ah, an Intel processor from back in the day when they were still using proper sockets, instead of those fragile things they have today. I actually recently bought a cheap second-hand AMD K8 processor myself, for my HTPC, so I certainly get the idea of working with early 2000s hardware for a low performance machine, if only for nostalgia's sake...

I have a k7. the a1333ams3c. I can't find a mobo yet but i'll try ;). and don't even get me started on today's lga sockets...utter garbage. wendell is right, if you look at it the wrong way it will break. I swapped my cpus and I swear I've never had to stop something because I was angry or shaking but in that process I took 4 breaks. 

Hehehe my favorite processor and a build like this... Awesome :P

Make it run vista and I'll love you more :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Hehehe my favorite processor and a build like this... Awesome :P

Make it run vista and I'll love you more :D

I'd rather not have to deal with windows again. I have one windows machine and it's enought trouble. also vista is like the cancer cells that you can kinda defeat with windows me being the stage 4 cancer

I'd rather not have to deal with windows again. I have one windows machine and it's enought trouble. also vista is like the cancer cells that you can kinda defeat with windows me being the stage 4 cancer

:P Windows ME, what a wonderful OS :D

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

:P Windows ME, what a wonderful OS :D

oh my...I won't even start. I really....never. actually. mind. if I start it would be a 48 stream of me throwing stuff against walls and screaming in anger

Update time. I got the motherboard. the guy gave me a stick of ram and I already had one. I didn't take his ram out in the beginning. I put cpu in with some thermal paste and used the stock intel cooler. I put a matrox gpu I had already and connected it to a monitor. I used my cx430 to ensure that the psu was not something that could fail. nothing. changed ram, reseated the cpu, used another graphics card. nothing. I tried everything. I cleared the CMOS, I restarted a dozen times, I chacked everything. either I have 2 deffective motherboards (to be fair the guy said the motherboard was untested) or a new fancy keyring (broken cpu). so the project is thrown out the window for the time being.