Which card is best for 1080p gaming?

Hello LTT forums!

I still have a very out-dated EVGA 560TI. I really need an update, but with a small budget I wanted to get your opinions on which graphics card would work best. First of all I have a budget of about $200-$350. I would like to get a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 970, but it's a bit too much. I also considered an MSI R9 290X but that is too high as well. My sweet-spot seems to be the GTX 960 which I can thankfully get it with 4 GB of VRAM because I'm running two 1080p monitors. I need the extra VRAM for the monitors and for animation rendering. I just need some help because I don't know how the GTX 960 can handle two monitors (it probably can but i throw a lot at them) but I would feel more comfortable with two 960s in SLI. So there a lot of options. Anyway, thanks for your info! 

Get the GTX 970 or R9 390.  Both are about equal at 1080p so it doesn't really matter which one you get.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Cool cool. R9 390 seems the best. But how about the r9 380 at 1080? 

Look at craigslist in your area... my friend got his evga 980 scc for 400 bucks. I see lots of 970s for 250-300 in my area.