Noob question

devildog031101

Is ok to have my pc in raid 0 if Im backing up on a freeNas home server??

Thanks "Mug" I thought soo just wanted to hear from someone with a better understanding.

Yup, remember, even Raid 1 doesn't mean you're "backing up" your data. In raid 1, if you get a virus and you don't have logical backups on your freeNAS, that virus will be on both clones of the data. The whole purpose of having 'backup disks' in a raid is for hardware failure.

If all you need is speed, and you're okay with a little downtime to restore data when a drive fails, raid 0 and a home NAS is your golden ticket.

Is ok to have my pc in raid 0 if Im backing up on a freeNas home server??

Hey there devildog031101,

RAID0 generally provides a good speed boost to the performance of the system, but does not give you any redundancy whatsoever. I would consider a different type of RAID that would enable you to have redundancy against drive failure. 
However, if you have a separate place to keep backups and need the additional speed that RAID0 striping can provide, you shouldn't have problems doing so. :) 

As @Eric The Tech Guru pointed out, RAID should never be considered a backup, unless you have the data elsewhere on a separate storage drive. 

I would recommend using NAS/RAID-class drives for this purpose since they have additional features that enable them to work smoother and safer and decrease the chance of a drive dropping out of the RAID or corrupting the data due to misalignment. such drives are WD Red: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=HvLebk

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there devildog031101,

RAID0 generally provides a good speed boost to the performance of the system, but does not give you any redundancy whatsoever. I would consider a different type of RAID that would enable you to have redundancy against drive failure.

However, if you have a separate place to keep backups and need the additional speed that RAID0 striping can provide, you shouldn't have problems doing so. :)

As @Eric The Tech Guru pointed out, RAID should never be considered a backup, unless you have the data elsewhere on a separate storage drive.

I would recommend using NAS/RAID-class drives for this purpose since they have additional features that enable them to work smoother and safer and decrease the chance of a drive dropping out of the RAID or corrupting the data due to misalignment. such drives are WD Red: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=HvLebk

Captain_WD.

Thanks for the info Captin_WD I'll make sure to look into it.