Amp for Q701

mooseblues
Go to solution Solved by h264,

Haha true, as specification though I mean something that is much more mainstream/mass produced rather than hand made and tailored for a user, where the user must have a thorough understanding of what he/she is specifically looking for in features.

Nah, it's not a major re-configuration.  the ODAC is supposed to have RCA outs, and the O2 always had the option of a 1x/2.5x gain.  You'll want the unity gain for those AKGs, trust me.  They're simply brutal.

As far as boutique audiophile stuff goes it's all pretty shady looking compared to Asus, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend anything more.  This device is simple, VERY durable (I take my JDSLabs one on a plane twice a week!), and makes your headphones sound VERY good, no matter what you decide to buy in the future.  It's perfect for a small desktop and you can hook it up to a laptop or SFF PC easily.  It doesn't even need drivers.

Seriously, this is the best thing for a beginner audiophile.

I currently own a pair of AKG Q701's which I have been powering with a FiiO E7/FiiO E9 combo for about a year. However, this setup has proved to be very unreliable, flimsy, and poorly built; as the display on my E7 has issues now (as well as the docking portion), and the knob on my E9 no longer works (takes several tries to power on). I am in the market for a new dac and amp, preferably both in a single unit with a 1/4" jack. Finding a replacement has proved to be no easy task, as I know these cans can be difficult to be properly drive. I have a budget of about $350 - recommendations are greatly appreciated (if the items are available on amazon, that's a major plus). Pic related, Q701's (although not my pair).

Q9VgAN1.jpg

†††††

Tumblr // Collection // Wantlist // Last.fm †††††

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/6771-review-of-the-objective-2-odac-combo-desktop-version-by-mayflower-electronics/?hl=o2%2Bodac#entry72853

>$350

well, this would be just perfect then.  I've got my K702s in this sucker.  It was pretty much designed to drive this headphone, given the history behind it.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

>http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/desktop-objective2-with-odac.html

Is this the product? What would I need in addition to this to be able to control speakers through the o2/odac?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/6771-review-of-the-objective-2-odac-combo-desktop-version-by-mayflower-electronics/?hl=o2%2Bodac#entry72853

>$350

well, this would be just perfect then.  I've got my K702s in this sucker.  It was pretty much designed to drive this headphone, given the history behind it.

†††††

Is this the product? What would I need in addition to this to be able to control speakers through the o2/odac?

I don't think those RCA are outputs, so you'd need to use the headphone output. Correct me if I'm wrong o' mighty h.264

If you'd like to connect speakers to the ODAC and bypass the O2, buy it with the ODAC line out option on the back like I did.  Then you can hook it up to computer speakers with a y-connector.  Or to a speaker amp for some fancy bookself speakers.

I think you'll need to put a message into the paypal order when you put it in your cart.  I missed it and got to clip my own resistor.  Message him and say you'd like the O2+ODAC Desktop version with the coax connectors as the line out for the ODAC instead.

I'd also recommend you get the 1x/2.5x gain option.  Especially for the AKG Q701.  Just put that in the comments too.

I don't think those RCA are outputs, so you'd need to use the headphone output. Correct me if I'm wrong o' mighty h.264

I can only type so fast, man

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Other than this amp do you have any other recommendations? While this amp does seem great, it also seems very overwhelming as I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to the audio world. 

†††††

Other than this amp do you have any other recommendations? While this amp does seem great, it also seems very overwhelming as I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to the audio world. 

You're the one spending $350...

There are cheaper options like the Modi/Magni stack, but those aren't in a single unit.

There are few good options for the K7 line from AKG.  AKG made an amp for this headphone, but I'm not sure it's produced anymore.

If you buy some attenuators with it, I guess you could get a Schiit Magni and Modi to work okay.

A FiiO E10 would work too, but you're obviously looking for something that will really last.

Indeed, we could always hook you up with a Benchmark (a company) DAC stack for $1000+.  It's ACTUALLY professional.

Haha true, as specification though I mean something that is much more mainstream/mass produced rather than hand made and tailored for a user, where the user must have a thorough understanding of what he/she is specifically looking for in features. I feel the fiio combo was an excellent solution for me which I thoroughly enjoyed, and would have been content with had it lasted longer than a single year.

†††††

Haha true, as specification though I mean something that is much more mainstream/mass produced rather than hand made and tailored for a user, where the user must have a thorough understanding of what he/she is specifically looking for in features.

Nah, it's not a major re-configuration.  the ODAC is supposed to have RCA outs, and the O2 always had the option of a 1x/2.5x gain.  You'll want the unity gain for those AKGs, trust me.  They're simply brutal.

As far as boutique audiophile stuff goes it's all pretty shady looking compared to Asus, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend anything more.  This device is simple, VERY durable (I take my JDSLabs one on a plane twice a week!), and makes your headphones sound VERY good, no matter what you decide to buy in the future.  It's perfect for a small desktop and you can hook it up to a laptop or SFF PC easily.  It doesn't even need drivers.

As far as boutique audiophile stuff goes it's all pretty shady looking compared to Asus, 

Little Dot isn't shady...  :unsure:

Edit: Honestly, just go with the ODAC+O2 if you're spending this kind of money. Completely function over form, it's a great piece of equipment tailored to be everything anyone would need in a DAC/headphone amp.

Little Dot isn't shady...  :unsure:

Only sound companies most people have heard of is Creative, Bose, Sennheiser, and Beats.  That's my only point.  I wouldn't ever call little dot shady.  Schiit, well, they're still on probation for me.

EDIT:  Harman Kardon, Marshall, etc.

I think you've convinced me to make the purchase, but I am unsure how to request the 1x/2.5x gain option. I'm not all that interested in the speaker setup, to be honest.

†††††

I think you've convinced me to make the purchase, but I am unsure how to request the 1x/2.5x gain option. I'm not all that interested in the speaker setup, to be honest.

yeah, neither am I.  Supposedly there's a comments box on the last page of the paypal checkout window, but I never saw it.

He's got a contact email.  Just send him an email and ask him to set you up an order with those options.  I'm sure that would work.

EDIT: AHAH!

post-7799-0-76284300-1375594184.png

Only sound companies most people have heard of is Creative, Bose, Sennheiser, and Beats.  That's my only point.  I wouldn't ever call little dot shady.  Schiit, well, they're still on probation for me.

STORY TIME: What'd Schiit do?

My DAC/amp is the only thing I'll ever proudly say I ordered straight from Hong Kong.

Gonna derail this thread, btw OP.

STORY TIME: What'd Schiit do?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

Designed an amp that literally bent headphone drivers to death, basically.  It was called the Schiit Asgard (fitting name).

Anyways. Drama. NwavGuy got banned. Again. Everybody says stuff about NwavGuy.  Everybody says stuff about Schiit.  Lots of finger pointing and talk about "proper amp usage" that's total BS.  End of the day, Schiit had to replace those amps with units that had *gasp* caps in the output circuitry to prevent this.  Two years on and head-fi looks totally different as a board.  Look at the reviews on the new STU for instance.  They mention the output impedance issue almost immediately.  That never would have happened two years ago

All because of OP's headphone's crazy light driver design.  See, I kept it on topic after all.

Idiot proofing my 'additional details', will this suffice? "Could you please include the 1x/2.5x gain option for the desktop o2/odac?" (I know, I know, I'm a fool)

yeah, neither am I.  Supposedly there's a comments box on the last page of the paypal checkout window, but I never saw it.

He's got a contact email.  Just send him an email and ask him to set you up an order with those options.  I'm sure that would work.

EDIT: AHAH!

attachicon.gifhereitis.png

†††††

Idiot proofing my 'additional details', will this suffice? "Could you please include the 1x/2.5x gain option for the desktop o2/odac?" (I know, I know, I'm a fool)

He'll know what to do.  Looks good.

Order placed, fingers crossed. Thank you very much for the help, I will post an update when the o2/odac arrives.

He'll know what to do.  Looks good.

†††††

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

Designed an amp that literally bent headphone drivers to death, basically.  It was called the Schiit Asgard (fitting name).

Anyways. Drama. NwavGuy got banned. Again. Everybody says stuff about NwavGuy.  Everybody says stuff about Schiit.  Lots of finger pointing and talk about "proper amp usage" that's total BS.  End of the day, Schiit had to replace those amps with units that had *gasp* caps in the output circuitry to prevent this.  Two years on and head-fi looks totally different as a board.  Look at the reviews on the new STU for instance.  They mention the output impedance issue almost immediately.  That never would have happened two years ago

All because of OP's headphone's crazy light driver design.  See, I kept it on topic after all.

Didn't something similar happen with Nuforce or whatever they're called?

Old stories like these make me wish I was born sooner....

Didn't something similar happen with Nuforce or whatever they're called?

Old stories like these make me wish I was born sooner....

Nuforce is much worse than Schiit's spotty record, they've had a long tradition of products that weren't built properly or didn't perform to spec.  NwavGuy isn't even the only one to question them, a Stereophile review was even bad for them.

Nuforce is much worse than Schiit's spotty record, they've had a long tradition of products that weren't built properly or didn't perform to spec.  NwavGuy isn't even the only one to question them, a Stereophile review was even bad for them.

And to think I had one of their products in a wish list at one time...

I've received the o2/odac and am unsure how to make it function, and I was curious if you could help me out. I've left the device plugged in for a while as indicated in the instructions to charge it and windows 8 is recognizing it as the output device, but I am unable to get any sound from the amp/dac. I've got it plugged into my pc via the provided usb cable, powered on with my Q701's plugged in, and am attempting to play music without any result. any advice?

†††††

I've received the o2/odac and am unsure how to make it function, and I was curious if you could help me out. I've left the device plugged in for a while as indicated in the instructions to charge it and windows 8 is recognizing it as the output device, but I am unable to get any sound from the amp/dac. I've got it plugged into my pc via the provided usb cable, powered on with my Q701's plugged in, and am attempting to play music without any result. any advice?

The desktop version doesn't have batteries.  Is the LED light on in the front?  And you've got it plugged into the headphone jack on the left? the big one?

Next, you'll need to make sure the ODAC is your default audio output and that your application is set to the default audio output.

Yep, the LED is on, and yes to the 1/4" jack. How can I ensure the ODAC is my default audio output?

The desktop version doesn't have batteries.  Is the LED light on in the front?  And you've got it plugged into the headphone jack on the left? the big one?

Next, you'll need to make sure the ODAC is your default audio output and that your application is set to the default audio output.

†††††