Ubuntu Live CD causing shutdown

I've ran into a very strange problem. I'm trying to boot into an Ubuntu Live CD (also tried Debian, same exact problem occurred) and the computer completely shuts off; No restarts, just total shutdown. I've been running Ubuntu in VirtualBox all week with no issues of packages, drivers, unknown hardware, etc. I've also run Ubuntu off a live USB on this same machine before. I thought it may be VT-d and virtualization so I turned those back off in the BIOS. Still coming up with the same problem.

Specs are in sig for the X99 rig, although I just popped in my 750 NVMe SSD w/hyperkit...only hardware change. Really need a linux distro up and running so I can clone over my OS from the 840 EVO to the new drive :angry:

Any help would be appreciated.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

Just tried it on a USB thumb, still shutting down...not that that should have worked, but at least I eliminated another possibility :(

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

You don't even get into the desktop? As soon as it loads the DVD it just shuts off?

Can you try to download the ISO again and check its md5sum? Also, how did you burn the ISO to DVD and USB (also what is the size of the two?)?

How I burn: I use Imgburn for DVD burning and Linux Live USB Creator for USB. For the later, set it to download the ISO automatically (it doesn't have 14.04 LTS though).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

-snip-

Nope, no desktop. Flashes something to the effect of, "Chipset not recognized" then shuts the machine off.

I've been using Universal-USB-Installer 1.9.6.1 for the thumbs and NeroROM for the discs.

DVD capacity is 4.7GB, realized size after ISO burn is 996MB. Trying LiLi w/another 16GB thumb, as the checker on launch recognized 1 error in the previous thumb. :/

Well LiLi was a bit more verbose during launch, but same thing happened. Trying again with 15.04 as that's what LiLi indicated it was using for the loader. Also trying persistent this time instead of live.

Nope, no desktop. Flashes something to the effect of, "Chipset not recognized" then shuts the machine off.

I've been using Universal-USB-Installer 1.9.6.1 for the thumbs and NeroROM for the discs.

DVD capacity is 4.7GB, realized size after ISO burn is 996MB. Trying LiLi w/another 16GB thumb, as the checker on launch recognized 1 error in the previous thumb. :/

That's something to work with. I thought it just shutoff without any indication on what happened. What does your BIOS settings look like? If you could get snapshots of your boot and settings that would be great. Or a video of it if screenies would take too long.

Don't use Universal or NeroROM for Ubuntu. If you can, burn a new ISO (don't  use your previous download!) with Imgburn or with LiLi. Report back problems, detailed please.

EDIT

Well LiLi was a bit more verbose during launch, but same thing happened. Trying again with 15.04 as that's what LiLi indicated it was using for the loader. Also trying persistent this time instead of live.

How so? Can you tell me what exactly happened? Same chipset warning?

If you were using 14.04 LTS with LiLi it will use the compatibility of 15.04, which is fine. If you want LTS, stick with it, it is better anyways. Set persistence to 1000MB at the least and make sure you set your BIOS to boot off of the USB drive. If you still can't get it to work, try installation with Unetbootin.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

How so? Can you tell me what exactly happened? Same chipset warning?

If you were using 14.04 LTS with LiLi it will use the compatibility of 15.04, which is fine. If you want LTS, stick with it, it is better anyways. Set persistence to 1000MB at the least and make sure you set your BIOS to boot off of the USB drive. If you still can't get it to work, try installation with Unetbootin.

4GB persistent and 15.04 does the same thing as 14.04. Is there a way to see a full verbose readout and halt it during installation? I'm barely able to glimpse things before it shuts down. Briefly saw PCIe...<something> not supported. This may just be down to my Hyperkit/NVMe, which is unfortunate since that's all I'm trying to use.

4GB persistent and 15.04 does the same thing as 14.04. Is there a way to see a full verbose readout and halt it during installation? I'm barely able to glimpse things before it shuts down. Briefly saw PCIe...<something> not supported. This may just be down to my Hyperkit/NVMe, which is unfortunate since that's all I'm trying to use.

Alright, unfortunately I don't know of anyway to alter the Installer etc without actually booting into the Ubuntu environment or terminal. Do you have a phone? If so, press record and then boot the system until it shuts off. Then replay the video and see if you can catch what it is saying. It does appear that something is going wrong with your PCIe device.

Otherwise let's try Unetbootin.

EDIT

*cleaning up post*

Some of them don't work as they cannot be booted from. It may require a simple change in BIOS (see here for an example), or as I have seen it sometimes, installing your boot to an HDD as grub will point to a kernal and initrd on the HDD instead (though you don't want that). Basically: if your BIOS cannot recognize it as a viable boot option, neither will Linux. So can you take pictures of your BIOS settings? Things like Win8 features must be turned off/disabled, as well. This is going to sound dumb, but can you make sure that you have it plugged in correctly too?

Alright, unfortunately I don't know of anyway to alter the Installer etc without actually booting into the Ubuntu environment or terminal. Do you have a phone? If so, press record and then boot the system until it shuts off. Then replay the video and see if you can catch what it is saying. It does appear that something is going wrong with your PCIe device.

Otherwise let's try Unetbootin.

EDIT

*cleaning up post*

Some of them don't work as they cannot be booted from. It may require a simple change in BIOS (see here for an example), or as I have seen it sometimes, installing your boot to an HDD as grub will point to a kernal and initrd on the HDD instead (though you don't want that). Basically: if your BIOS cannot recognize it as a viable boot option, neither will Linux. So can you take pictures of your BIOS settings? Things like Win8 features must be turned off/disabled, as well. This is going to sound dumb, but can you make sure that you have it plugged in correctly too?

I'll have to rig up the GoPro in 120fps. Don't think my 4K 30fps phone is going to cut it. I really wasn't even trying to install the distro to a hard drive at all, I just needed access to the "try it now" functionality for the dd command (used it on upgrading my Xbone HDD).

I found another tool for porting everything over to the NVMe, actually typing on it live now, so at least that worked out today.

I'll definitely need to come back to this at some point though, fairly interested to see how Linux handles in the NVMe environment. (really interested in coLinux, but it's a bit over my head for the time being, which is why I have my VM).

Thanks for all your help! When I have time to get back to installing I'll probably just be updating this thread, as I doubt the problem will magically fix itself.

I'll have to rig up the GoPro in 120fps. Don't think my 4K 30fps phone is going to cut it. I really wasn't even trying to install the distro to a hard drive at all, I just needed access to the "try it now" functionality for the dd command (used it on upgrading my Xbone HDD).

I found another tool for porting everything over to the NVMe, actually typing on it live now, so at least that worked out today.

I'll definitely need to come back to this at some point though, fairly interested to see how Linux handles in the NVMe environment. (really interested in coLinux, but it's a bit over my head for the time being, which is why I have my VM).

Thanks for all your help! When I have time to get back to installing I'll probably just be updating this thread, as I doubt the problem will magically fix itself.

Well if you have the one I linked to, then it should install fine as long as you make sure your BIOS boots off of it and have properly set the BIOS. I'm sorry I couldn't get it working right away for you, but hopefully whenever you do start the install process, it will work for you. :)