Web Programming/Java Resources?

VulsaviiK

Hey guys,

I recently started studying Web Programming and Java at university, I was wondering if anyone here had recommendations for good learning resources to compliment my studies?

Specifically with Web Programming we're covering HTML, CSS, PHP, AJAX and jQuery, and Java it's still a fairly early course, so I'm looking for beginner level stuff

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

The best way to learn is to actually start making stuff with the code. Teaching myself is how I learned with the help of google and forums if I was ever stuck on anything.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

TheNewBoston on youtube

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

https://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas/videos He has great videos that cover a whole subject like html, css, php, mysql etc. in around an hour. Then after watching and following along with the tutorial on your own computer I'd say to make something with them. It is also much easier to come back to your old code after a year then trying to understand someone else's example online imo.

https://www.youtube.com/user/derekbanas/videos He has great videos that cover a whole subject like html, css, php, mysql etc. in around an hour. Then after watching and following along with the tutorial on your own computer I'd say to make something with them. It is also much easier to come back to your old code after a year then trying to understand someone else's example online imo.

Randomly popped onto this thread cause I saw your name and I'm glad I did. I checked out this guy's videos and it's just what I need to start learning java :D

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Check out Must-reads for Java Developers: From Beginner to Professional. It includes some Java specific books with many other regularly recommended classics that aren't language specific.

I'd also try out and get familiar with a good text editor/IDE if you're not already using one. For a text editor you can look into Atom, Brackets, and Sublime Text. And I personally would recommend you try the Jetbrain's IDEs IntelliJ and PhpStorm (all their paid products are free for students). Start getting familiar with using a proper debugger as well if you haven't already (some more info on debugging in my signature). You'll also want to get familiar with browser dev tools if you aren't currently doing so.

Getting familiar with version control software early is also great. Git, Mercurial, and Subversion are common options. You can host them yourself or sign up on a site like BitBucket, GitHub, or Assembla. You can start using it with your assignments and projects.

And finally and most importantly, take full advantage of being in university. Get involved with anything you can. Get to know your professors and peers. Go to programming events/competitions (if offered) even as a beginner. Go for any internships that your program may offer.