First PC build $700 Budget (Photoshop, Zbrush, Unreal 4, etc)

Hello, Im a complete n00b when it comes to PC's and im seeking advice on my first attempt at building one. So when i say n00b i guess i use the term loosely, its more like "im not as competent than probably most of you on these forums". So if there is somthing i dont know, or ask to explain please dont get mad, im just a loser :P.

So down to business, as it says in the title i have a $700 budget to make a computer meant to handle things like Photoshop, Zbrush, and the Unreal 4 engine. But im not going to use this computer for these programs exclusively, i will also probably be gaming to a small degree on this computer and will be using alot of FL Studios. I also want to have a 2 monitor set up (this is included in the budget). But if implementing a 2nd monitor will mean i decrease the hardware due to keeping within the budget, i can just wait and save for a 2nd monitor later on. Just keep in mind i would like to upgrade to a 2 monitor set up.

Some other points to make are that windows 8 will be included in the budget, and if its necessary to go over the budget like $100 more or so im willing to save and wait if it means performance. I would also like the leniency of upgradablity if it can be helped.

What i know i want already: (Not set in stone)

• Intel CPU
  • Nvidia GPU
  • SSD (for os and major programs)
  • At least 1 2Tb HDD (for storage)
  • an Optical Drive

Like i said before, my knowledge of computers only goes so far. So if something i want seems unrealistic please dont be afraid to let me know, also some examples of good alternatives would be nice.

With all this in mind, please help me build my first PC!!!  :)

700$ is a bit low for a whole set up including peripherals. You'd want a good processor for working with those type of programs. I'd wait to save up some more cash to be able to get something that is actually worth building.

Adobe Photoshop Graphic Artist and PC Building Enthusiast

Corsair 750D | I7 4770 | Aorus Waterblocked 1080ti | z97A Gaming 7 MSI | EVGA supernova 750 G2 Gold | 900P 280Gb 256GB 850PRO 128 GB 850 EVO| 32GB Corsair Vengeance (4x8GB) | Logitech g502 mouse | Corsair K70 Cherry-MX Brown | Full Custom Water Cooling Loop |

700$ is a bit low for a whole set up including peripherals. You'd want a good processor for working with those type of programs. I'd wait to save up some more cash to be able to get something that is actually worth building.

I second that. You definitely need more money for this kind of PC.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

what would be the minimum to build a decent computer like this one?

snip

hold up I could probably build you one real quick mate

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Well here is the best I can do without breaking the budget.  Also you can get cheaper keys for win 8 on  http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

I purchased a win 7 key from there and nothing is wrong :P

also you can use your TV if you have one as a monitor and then just find a basic or a cheaper monitor and attach it like that. Because I do that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.80 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($13.00 @ Newegg)

Total: $692.13

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-18 18:36 EDT-0400

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

above is an 8 core 4.0 ghz processor and 750 ti, ssd, hdd, and windows if you need it.

Well here is the best I can do without breaking the budget.  Also you can get cheaper keys for win 8 on I purchased a win 7 key from there and nothing is wrong :P

also you can use your TV if you have one as a monitor and then just find a basic or a cheaper monitor and attach it like that. Because I do that.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($42.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($64.80 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($32.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($13.00 @ Newegg)

he needs windows too, and I forgot an optical drive :P

he needs windows too, and I forgot an optical drive :P

I know but for that price range. AMD is not the way to go. And plus the GPU isn't all that nice either. That is why I said if you read my post, you can get a windows keys for cheaper on reddit software swap. A Windows 8.1 key on there is only 12 dollars mate. ( Just doubled check it didn't post my link to the reddit software swap )

Well here is the best I can do without breaking the budget. Also you can get cheaper keys for win 8 on http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/

I purchased a win 7 key from there and nothing is wrong [emoji14]

CPU: Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($42.89 @ OutletPC)

Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.80 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.49 @ SuperBiiz)

Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer ($13.00 @ Newegg)

Thanks man i appreciate it, this definitely a great start for me. Now that i see what 700 can get me, what could i improve if i were to save up to 1500?

Ok, So i know what 700 dollars can get me. But as awesome as that build is, i feel i need a better one since this computer will be a huge long term investment. I don't want to seem like a bother and i would pick the parts myself, but i feel with my limited knowledge i wouldn't pick the optimal parts for the job.

So now heres my new proposal. Help me pick the optimal parts for the tasks i want to achieve, regardless of budget. I guess id like to make the PC at least under 2000 With upgradible parts (if it must go over 2000 then oh well). I want no holds bars on this project, I want to get serious.

Things i would like to include:

• A  Intel CPU with Hyper-threading (Or would i not benefit from this?)
  • Nvidia GPU (should I consider an SLI upgrade in the future?)
  • 250 Gb SSD (for OS and major programs)
  • 2 2Tb HDD ( Would like to run these in RAID 1)
  • Blueray Optical Drive

I currently have only 700, but i want an estimate of how much i will need to save for an optimal PC. Thank you all for the help!  :D

how much gaming and how much "work" are you going to do on this PC?

BigDay

• are you going to overclock the cpu if you get a 4790k? if so, how far do you want to push it? this is important because it'll give me an idea of what type of cpu cooler to add in

do you do any photoshop work or any video editing? do you need an ips with excellent color reproduction? fl studio doesn't require that. you just need a good sound card build into the motherboard

BigDay

how much gaming and how much "work" are you going to do on this PC?

Ill probably not use this computer for gaming that often, the only games i might play are small indie titles and stuff along those lines.This computer is going to be primarily a work computer, being used for the programs listed above in the first post.

• are you going to overclock the cpu if you get a 4790k? if so, how far do you want to push it? this is important because it'll give me an idea of what type of cpu cooler to add in
  • do you do any photoshop work or any video editing? do you need an ips with excellent color reproduction? fl studio doesn't require that. you just need a good sound card build into the motherboard

So, this is where my limited knowledge comes into play. I know what over clocking is, but what specifically "4790k" means, i have no clue. From what ive read about overclocking id rather not attempt it, but if for some reason it must be done then i will. If you suggest i overclock it than ill give it a shot.

And yes, i do do a lot of photoshop work but never video editing. And yes i will need an ips with excellent color reproduction. and i guess ill save up for a good sound card.