Storage help for HTPC

knight_40k

Ok Guys,

My HTPC is solely used for media playback, no gaming, no surfing. I have a variety of WD Green drives equaling 8TB (Crucial M4 SSD for OS). I was thinking of replacing all of my 1TB/2TB drives with 3TB drives to make more room for expansion, but if I am going through the trouble and cost of doing this would I benefit from going with WD Reds or Blacks instead? I know the difference between WD series I just want to know if its worth it for my application. I run XBMC and the greens are sluggish at times because they need to wake up before my file can play.

Note: my case is Silverstone GD08 and I plan to fill it with HDD's :)

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Coming from someone who has Blue, Blacks, Greens, and Red. I can tell you reds are the most quiet, and coolest. Perfect for HTPC. They aren't super fast though, but then again I don't think my green is sluggish either.

Coming from someone who has Blue, Blacks, Greens, and Red. I can tell you reds are the most quiet, and coolest. Perfect for HTPC. They aren't super fast though, but then again I don't think my green is sluggish either.
Thanks. I was leaning towards the Reds. I just meant sluggish as in when they first get accessed, like I could be accessing a tv episode from 4 different drives, so each selection means a 5-10sec delay before it will play.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Personally I find Blue's to be incredibly slow, Blacks fast but noisy, Reds a good choice for NAS/low level home servers however I have had reliability problems with them, Greens somewhat slow but I like them because they're environmentally friendly but I've also had issues with them and then there's the Seagate Barracudas of which I strongly encourage - I've only had one die and I'm not even sure if it's actually dead.

Greens are not good if you are reading large files, aka movies. My WD Green makes movies choppy (lags, stutters, stop), I'm getting rid of it very soon, all SMART data checks out and no remapped sectors (yet).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Greens are not good if you are reading large files, aka movies. My WD Green makes movies choppy (lags, stutters, stop), I'm getting rid of it very soon, all SMART data checks out and no remapped sectors (yet).
Faulty drive? My green plays them perfectly...

I don't find them choppy either however there have been one or two times when XBMC has paused automatically due to the drive freezing up or trying to read but that might have been an unrelated error. I do also have several green drives as external storage and love them in that regard. If I do replace my HTPC with Reds, the greens will for sure be used as external storage.

I'm not saying they're faulty, I'm saying mine blows and its all OK SMART data-wise and don't think anyone should ever buy a Green drive, ever as in as long as they are alive.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.