Looking to upgrade

I am an armature photographer.  Recently one of the dials on my Fuji Finepix S9000 stopped working.  I can no longer change aperture or exposure.  I have to take pictures in program mode to get quality pictures now.

I love this as my first higher quality camera; but, now I want to take my photography seriously rather than as a passing hobby.  A big downside is I am in college and working.  I only get to save maybe $50 a month.  I am looking for a replacement camera that offers better quality but may not be professional grade quality at this time.  I use all the features of this camera to get natural effects rather than adding them in in post.

I really love photography and I have no experience shopping for cameras.

Please help.

post-225088-0-59918100-1434589658_thumb.

Whats your budget?

Are you ok with getting a compact or another super zoom?

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I love having a large optical zoom for depth effects as well as detailed panoramas; however, if the pixel count is quite high I may be able to get away with a smaller lens.  Such as a 40mp+ camera.  A big issue I have with this camera is its high level of grain even in ideal light conditions.

My recommendation is buying used. A lot of the entry level cameras are hardly used, most either are shot one then forgotten about or babied their entire lives. My tip is to look in the local classifieds and see what comes up. For pricing try to find ebay listing for the same camera (Or used department of BandH or Adorama) and then offer 10-33% below internet price (Depending on how aggressive you want to be).

Another place is local community garage sales. Just be willing to walk away and always do your research. Pick it up, look at it, check it over, say you'll be back, google all the info/pricing, come back and haggle if you want it. Just be willing to walk away if the price is too high.  

If your buying used, take a look at keh.com or craigslist too. I've bought several things from keh (and B&H and Adorama) and have had great experiences.

A budget would help with recommendations.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers