Hardware Canucks Gets Thermaltake's Side Of The Story

Steve N. Mavronis

Sadly, it seams that the market is pushing for extra large cases, over the top water cooling system, and support more HDDs than Linus 24 SSD in RAID thingy box, large CPU cutout hole, so big you can fit an ITX board, because this is what reviewers want to see. Because they think that is the what a good case should have, when in reality it should be on fan placement , minimize case size, and ultra quiet operation.

Isn't it shifting towards smaller enclosures? There seems to be an explosion of new small cases recently...  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

That guy was rightfully asked to stop producing those. That case looks exactly like the MXR box but the name is different, that's it.

In a different scenario, Maxon used to make Ibanez's tube screamers. Now Ibanez makes their own and Maxon put out their own but they look very similar. The reason this is okay is because Maxon is the original manufacturer of the design and the original circuitry while Ibanez uses their own circuitry.

They both look the same on the outside aside from the brand logo on the boxes, but the only reason it's okay (morally) is because of how the two companies started together.

Thermaltake and CaseLabs didn't have a manufacturing relationship at all.

I have no need for large cases. I really don't care which way this story goes. I'm going smaller and have no need for multiple graphics cards. I'll be building in the Phanteks Evolv ITX, or if I get a sudden urge to spend $60 extra for 1/8" thick aluminum, the micro-ATX model Phanteks Evolv. The reason I like them is their design style doesn't look like any other manufacturer's case. They have a modern industrial look that stands on its own.

post-54803-0-02476700-1434392577.png

It's hard to say, really, cos that is what the companies send to reviewers. However I think most people still prefer ATX medium towers and it's very hard to come up with anything really new in that area.

Personally I'm moving towards ITX, but I've yet to find a case that fills my needs, the new Fractal 202 seems very close, but I'll have to see the final version. And it's not like my current FD Arc Mini R2 is that big, but it's still a hastle if I have to move and in my line of work, that happens way too often. And gaming laptops are still too expensive to be worth it.

So define R5 and H440 are nothing new?

I have no need for large cases. I really don't care which way this story goes. I'm going smaller and have no need for multiple graphics cards. I'll be building in the Phanteks Evolv ITX, or if I get a sudden urge to spend $60 extra for 1/8" thick aluminum, the micro-ATX model Phanteks Evolv. The reason I like them is their design style doesn't look like any other manufacturer's case. They have a modern industrial look that stands on its own.

attachicon.gif11061985_1362693163764498_90870903708996489_n.png

Here's the thing though you are not the entirety of the custom pc market. That's why there isn't just one case size. He'll I personally own a ITX build as well as a super tower build.

True, there are all combinations of PC owners. My opinion is just but one in a field of many categories of computer users. I work on PC's for a living since 1985, so maybe that's why I can only stand one at a time at home. ;)

At the time, slightly. Try adding something now that would make a case worth looking at and after that, good luck finding a market. You can only do the "Filtered intakes, movable HDD cages, rubber grommets, room for such and such rads, etc. etc." so many times, before it starts to get a bit same ol', same ol'.

Those launched a year ago plus or minus a bit. Do you get sick of stuff that quick?

I worked on mainframes so when I first bought a PC in 1987, I was 'impressed' with how much was stuffed into the little box. As I gained experience, I found I like the larger cases. It is a situation of getting my arms and hands inside...

As for 'design styles', I am the wrong person to ask. I love the CaseLabs because they are large enough for my hands and arms (and a good part of my body) to get into. I have not purchased one, yet. I bought a Silverstone Fortress F2, and have my third motherboard in it today. A good, well built case will last and work longer than motherboards, etc. So, the price is not an issue for me. One good case for me is the equal of 3 [or 4] cases for someone else.

I have had only two issues with the Fortress, which I consider a good bargain. I usually have much more than two things to get upset about on the cases, since I bought my first case for a build in 1999.

Once I give up making my own PCs, then I will consider a tablet. My wife, kids etc love the tablets. But their values are different from mine, and building the PC is an experience I treasure. So, I want great value in any part of the PC I buy, and I expect them to run at 'rated speed' without ever an issue. I don't overclock, and buy the parts necessary for the load I expect to put on it.

Once a while I get a 'negative' surprise, and that encourages me to look for a better product and often a new vendor. Everex was a great company, for about 6 years, then fell off. Corsair has been a great company for about 9 years (for me).

Companies tend to come and to go. Value products sell. Cheap products sell for a short time, then get shunned. Websites like this one helps in sharing direct experience with products. You are one of that crowd.

So, while the 'differences' between what TT has done and CaseLabs has built may seem minor to you, those differences are large, to me.

But, unlike so many others, I will NOT 'mandate' what you are to buy. By the same token, I won't let you 'mandate' what I should purchase.

Best Regards, AraiBob