Doing a budget build!

Go to solution Solved by ollioddi,

Also a benchmark for 750ti vs 285:

Wouldnt spend on i5 in the start if youre goal is to game. For gaming the pentium rocks, and because its low price (500 dkk+- if i remember) you can upgrade it if you feel like doing heavier stuff like video rendering

You will benefit from the extra performance in most games, and even games not optimized for amd, will make its extra power perform likely around 750 ti.

So I'm doing a budget build. I'm thinking of what graphics unit I'll be using, so I thought I'd ask you guys, since you're experts! :D

My build is going to be:

Processor: G3258 pentium ( gonna overclock it to 4.6 Ghz )

GPU: Either a GTX 750 Ti FTW EVGA, a R9 270x or R9 285

MOBO: AsRock Anniversary Ed. z97

Storage: SSHD 1 tb

PSU: 500 W

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R Window

CPU cooler: Hyper 212

So my question is, which GPU should I go for? GTX 750 Ti, R9 270x or R9 285? I'll be building this in a few months, and the 300 series will probably be out by then. 

Where are you from? Budget?

Hey, I'm form Denmark, so it's kindof expensive here, but it's the lowest I can go, still having a "decent" pc here. I'm open for changes in the build, just want the best for around 625 euros. 

Hey, I'm form Denmark, so it's kindof expensive here, but it's the lowest I can go, still having a "decent" pc here. I'm open for changes in the build, just want the best for around 625 euros. 

Check if you can afford i5 4440 or 4460 if you only get normal HDD, cheapest mobo to support haswell cpu (h81 or b85) and no cpu cooler.

What 500W PSU name and model?

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

https://www.komplett.dk/xfx-proseries-core-edition-550w-psu/657685

This is much better. Is it too expensive?

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

I just tried to make a build with the i5-4460, a gtx 750 ti, hdd seagate 1 tb, Gigabyte GA-z97-d3 mobo, 500 w psu, case cm storm 500 midi tower, and it costed 700 dkk (104 dollars ) more ( exclusive the cooler for cpu and the fan) , than my previous build with the pentium and so on. 

If I'm buying the pentium build, I'm gonna have it for like 3-4 years depending on how well it does on 1080p games. 

The pentium build incl screen: https://www.komplett.dk/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=1553535&su=4FBB4B04-0008-4DC5-BD7F-671216359404 

https://www.komplett.dk/xfx-proseries-core-edition-550w-psu/657685

This is much better. Is it too expensive?

No it's only like 9-10 dollars more. But i went with the Corsair 500W modular since it's 9-10 dollars cheaper, and is modular, so it would look better if i got a better case a few years down the road. But i'm open to changes :)

The CX500M is such a meh PSU, it only has 3 year warranty, the XFX has 5. The CX also is worse built, and for $10 it's worth getting the better quality PSU with longer warranty.

The CX500M is such a meh PSU, it only has 3 year warranty, the XFX has 5. The CX also is worse built, and for $10 it's worth getting the better quality PSU with longer warranty.

Well, sure then :)! I'll change it out with the XFX pro! I also jsut found out, that the site removed the AsRock Anniversary from their stock thing, so i'll have to put a mobo in the build again.. :)

Well, sure then :)! I'll change it out with the XFX pro! I also jsut found out, that the site removed the AsRock Anniversary from their stock thing, so i'll have to put a mobo in the build again.. :)

Or just buy it from another danish webshop :) 

Check if you can afford i5 4440 or 4460 if you only get normal HDD, cheapest mobo to support haswell cpu (h81 or b85) and no cpu cooler.

So i build this one. I realized that on my other pentium build, komplett had taken down the mobo from their inventory, so i'll have to buy it from another danish shop for 658 dkk ( around 100 dolalrs ) 

The i5-4460 build: https://www.komplett.dk/k/shoplist.aspx?mode=receive&si=1560172&su=A3EE0C80-64BD-4C3B-9909-ACC9D19FC3BC

Problem is though, that I don't really like the case x(

Oh, I just found out, that the r9 270x needs 2 x 6pin connectors, and the xfx only comes with 1x 6 pin. The corsair comes with 2 x 8 pin where i can take off 2 of the pins in each. So i'll have to go with the Corsair i guess.

The XFX only has one? Doubt it

"

1x 6pin PCIe, 1x 6+2pin PCIe"

It has enough for you

Hey. I live in denmark myself (keeping this english for others) and i have also looked at budget pc's for several of my friends. I would say that you should go with the 285 because its actually quite faster than the 750ti. If you can afford though i would go with a higher end nvidia card, because nvidia just generally uses lower power, and they have better optimizations in drivers in games. Also if you're going to play Witcher 3 or other nvidia gameworks supported games, its going to be much better on an nvidia card. 

But back on track, as you said this is a budget, so i would personally go for the 285, rather than 750 ti 

And also a funny thing is that the budget pcs ive been looking at, is also suited with the pentium g3258 and the ASRock anniversary because it can overclock it to 4.2 GHz with a push of a button.

I also wouldn't buy a i5 4460 and lower the GPU as the pentium wil do just fine overclocked in most titles (R.I.P Far Cry 4), and then ill go for a better gpu

:)

If i was you i would go for a 760 is only a 100 euro,s dirt cheap.

CPU: I5 3570K@4.5 GHZ+h100 l MOBO Z77 pro4-m l GPU Evga gtx 970 sc RAM 8GB Vengance Corsair ram PSU 750 Watt Corsair Psu @Windows 10

Also a benchmark for 750ti vs 285:

Wouldnt spend on i5 in the start if youre goal is to game. For gaming the pentium rocks, and because its low price (500 dkk+- if i remember) you can upgrade it if you feel like doing heavier stuff like video rendering

You will benefit from the extra performance in most games, and even games not optimized for amd, will make its extra power perform likely around 750 ti.

If i was you i would go for a 760 is only a 100 euro,s dirt cheap.

Meeh m8. In Denmark the 750 Ti is 1300-1400 dkk. Around 220 dollars. And the 760 has not changed in price at all, and in most webshops, they've been replaced with the 960. But ty though. 

Hey. I live in denmark myself (keeping this english for others) and i have also looked at budget pc's for several of my friends. I would say that you should go with the 285 because its actually quite faster than the 750ti. If you can afford though i would go with a higher end nvidia card, because nvidia just generally uses lower power, and they have better optimizations in drivers in games. Also if you're going to play Witcher 3 or other nvidia gameworks supported games, its going to be much better on an nvidia card. 

But back on track, as you said this is a budget, so i would personally go for the 285, rather than 750 ti 

And also a funny thing is that the budget pcs ive been looking at, is also suited with the pentium g3258 and the ASRock anniversary because it can overclock it to 4.2 GHz with a push of a button.

I also wouldn't buy a i5 4460 and lower the GPU as the pentium wil do just fine overclocked in most titles (R.I.P Far Cry 4), and then ill go for a better gpu

Okey, I think i'll be able to pay a bit more for the 285 instead of the 270x. But, i'll be building in 4-5 months, which is a lot of time, and a lot of new things may come out. But just to go off with, ill put in the r9 285 with a pentium g3258. I'll have to buy the asrock anniversary from another webshop than komplett ( they removed it from their inventory ). 

Thank you for your opinion. 

( And a sick rig and setup you got yourself )

The XFX only has one? Doubt it

"

1x 6pin PCIe, 1x 6+2pin PCIe"

It has enough for you

Oh yea, i see it now :)! I'll replace the corsair then! Thank you very much! :) 

Okey, I think i'll be able to pay a bit more for the 285 instead of the 270x. But, i'll be building in 4-5 months, which is a lot of time, and a lot of new things may come out. But just to go off with, ill put in the r9 285 with a pentium g3258. I'll have to buy the asrock anniversary from another webshop than komplett ( they removed it from their inventory ). 

Thanks. Btw did you see the benchmark video? I dont know how accurate the numbers are, but i did some searching sometimes ago, and im pretty sure that my conclusion was that the 285 was a whole lot better. And for my own build i Actually build this myself not so long ago

Meeh m8. In Denmark the 750 Ti is 1300-1400 dkk. Around 220 dollars. And the 760 has not changed in price at all, and in most webshops, they've been replaced with the 960. But ty though.

The 960 is also dirt cheap 200 euro,s that would give good performance for that kind of a price.

CPU: I5 3570K@4.5 GHZ+h100 l MOBO Z77 pro4-m l GPU Evga gtx 970 sc RAM 8GB Vengance Corsair ram PSU 750 Watt Corsair Psu @Windows 10

Also the 285 isnt actually that more expensive than the 750 ti https://www.komplett.dk/xfx-radeon-r9-285-2gb-gddr5/827860but performs way better