Budget Gaming PC

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£48.88 @ Amazon UK)

CPU Cooler: Arctic Cooling Alpine 11 GT 28.6 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£4.99 @ Novatech)

Thermal Compound: StarTech Metal Oxide 1.5g Thermal Paste (£2.09 @ Ebuyer)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£57.77 @ Scan.co.uk)

Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£42.71 @ CCL Computers)

Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£29.99 @ Aria PC)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card (£124.98 @ Ebuyer)

Other: X-CASE X803 GAMING CASE + GREEN LED FANS + 600W PSU (£42.94)

Total: £354.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-07 01:21 BST+0100

That's the build that I want to use for gaming, I will overclock the G3258 until I get enough money for a K-Series i5.

Just wanted to ask if I should make any last minute changes.

Edit: I also have a old PC that I'll scavenge the 500GB HDD, and the 1500MB of RAM, and the GPU (if there is one. It's a generic office PC and I have no use for the other parts so I might as well sell them.

Hmm... You don't need an z series for that. G3258 can be overclocked with an MSI or Asrock H81.

Current rig: CPU: i5 4460; MoBo: Asrock H81m-VG4 r2.0; GPU: Zotac GTX 960 Metal Gear Solid; RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB: PSU: Cooler Master VS 500; Case: Cooler Master N200 Window; Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212x; 

Hmm... You don't need an z series for that. G3258 can be overclocked with an MSI or Asrock H81.

What about i5's? And is there a difference in overclocking?

IMHO, a locked haswell refresh i5 is good enough for my purposes of gaming. Unless you're gonna do something else like video editing or other professional computer tasks, it's gonna suffice. Maybe an i5 4590 with an asrock B85m-dgs would be okay. Otherwise, if you're gonna overlock, maybe one of them i5 k series, but I don't really see the value of overclocking a CPU. maybe get the locked version and upgrade your GPU to a 970 from the money you saved. :)

Current rig: CPU: i5 4460; MoBo: Asrock H81m-VG4 r2.0; GPU: Zotac GTX 960 Metal Gear Solid; RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 8GB: PSU: Cooler Master VS 500; Case: Cooler Master N200 Window; Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212x; 

The H87 and H97 chipsets can OC the bigger sisters of the i Series, though probably only to boost setting. Say boost clock is 4.5 (On mine) SO can OC to 4.1 and boost be 4.5. Can definitely shave some money off. Oh Z87, might save you a little more and are great overclockers.

EDIT: Some info I found to help you out! :D

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/200789-oc-i5-4690k-with-h97-chipset-motherboard/

By now all of these chipsets support a good OC headroom from all companies.

The woes of not waiting to buy a GPU when new releases hit soon.

The H87 and H97 chipsets can OC the bigger sisters of the i Series, though probably only to boost setting. Say boost clock is 4.5 (On mine) SO can OC to 4.1 and boost be 4.5. Can defiantly shave some money off. Oh Z87, might save you a little more.

Well I got the Z97 from ticking the Z87 and the Z97 box in pcpartpicker and ordering them cheapest first. And that's what I got.

And by "Bigger sisters" are you talking about High end i5's and i7's?

Well I got the Z97 from ticking the Z87 and the Z97 box in pcpartpicker and ordering them cheapest first. And that's what I got.

And by "Bigger sisters" are you talking about High end i5's and i7's?

Yes! And I also did an edit, but definitely go with what you want, all up to you friend! :D

Yes! And I also did an edit, but definitely go with what you want, all up to you friend! :D

That's what I'm aiming for, a High-End i5 and I've seen Linus' video on the Pentium G3258 vs that i7 and it got pretty good results.

Well go with what you wish friend! You'll be upgrading anyway so getting a top of the line Motherboard will definitely help with improvements down the line.

Well go with what you wish friend! You'll be upgrading anyway so getting a top of the line Motherboard will definitely help with improvements down the line.

OK thanks, I'm going to change the motherboard because that anniversary edition is made for the g3258 and I'm going to change the CPU anyway, thanks.

OK thanks, I'm going to change the motherboard because that anniversary edition is made for the g3258 and I'm going to change the CPU anyway, thanks.

Yeah, go for the most you can spend on the motherboard since it's the least upgradable.