College?

Go to solution Solved by xeromynd,

Also something else to think about is transporting this thing. It was a total bitch to transport my 650D to and from school, and that was just a mid tower case.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off with an ITX build, or at least a mid-tower, rather than a huge thing. If someone wants to steal something, they will find a way. Just don't go bragging to your whole dorm that you have an awesome gaming PC. I never had any problems with my PC being stolen, or even touched. I lived with 6 people each year, every year there were at least 1-2 randoms who I knew nothing about. No problems.

If you're really paranoid, some motherboards actually come with a chassis intrusion header on them. Not sure how to set that stuff up, but it's something to look into.

Are you saying you're not in college yet? If you aren't, and you've got three years to go before you start the build: you'll probably have some good friends (hopefully) by senior year that you'll want to room with. That should give you plenty of time to gauge your trust in them. You might not even be on campus, who knows.

I brought my X58 system in a 650D to school and had it right on the floor next to my desk.

Something I want you to visualize: a fresh, ice cold beer getting knocked over, all the beer spills right down into the top exhaust vent of your PC, frying all your components. My roommates (or I, for that matter) were not huge partygoers, and I was still paranoid of this. Protect that shit!

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

have you seen the triple 980 build for the nvidia mod24 event? that was made in an old dell?

no I haven't xD you should send me the link if possible haha

CPU i7 4790K @4.8GHz | Motherboard ASUS HERO VII Z97 | Cooler Corsair H110i GT | GPU Gigabyte G1Gaming GTX 970 SLI | PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | HDD Western Digital Red 1TB | SSD HyperX Savage | Case NZXT Noctis 450 OS Windows 8.1

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Mouse Corsair Sabre Laser RGB | Headset Corsair H2100 Wireless 7.1

Are you saying you're not in college yet? If you aren't, and you've got three years to go before you start the build: you'll probably have some good friends (hopefully) by senior year that you'll want to room with. That should give you plenty of time to gauge your trust in them. You might not even be on campus, who knows.

I brought my X58 system in a 650D to school and had it right on the floor next to my desk.

Something I want you to visualize: a fresh, ice cold beer getting knocked over, all the beer spills right down into the top exhaust vent of your PC, frying all your components. My roommates (or I, for that matter) were not huge partygoers, and I was still paranoid of this. Protect that shit!

I'm going to probably keep my PC on my desk like I have my current PC, safe from all (almost all anyways) spills :)

CPU i7 4790K @4.8GHz | Motherboard ASUS HERO VII Z97 | Cooler Corsair H110i GT | GPU Gigabyte G1Gaming GTX 970 SLI | PSU Corsair HX750i

RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866MHz | HDD Western Digital Red 1TB | SSD HyperX Savage | Case NZXT Noctis 450 OS Windows 8.1

Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB Mouse Corsair Sabre Laser RGB | Headset Corsair H2100 Wireless 7.1

you see... the things he is trying to do are intensive, but laptops that fit his needs are way more expensive than a tower computer and he is a student

I could always just buy the MSI Dual Titan X laptop they showcased at Computex hahaha

Roommates....

There seems to be widespread paranoia on this forum about having your PC stolen at college. Which is funny because I am sure that many regulars here aren't even through High School yet.

Just chill out. Buy a kensington lock and a proper case and keep the thing somewhere where it's not liable to have liquids poured into it and you're good to go.

Git Gud.

Also something else to think about is transporting this thing. It was a total bitch to transport my 650D to and from school, and that was just a mid tower case.

Honestly, I think you'd be better off with an ITX build, or at least a mid-tower, rather than a huge thing. If someone wants to steal something, they will find a way. Just don't go bragging to your whole dorm that you have an awesome gaming PC. I never had any problems with my PC being stolen, or even touched. I lived with 6 people each year, every year there were at least 1-2 randoms who I knew nothing about. No problems.

If you're really paranoid, some motherboards actually come with a chassis intrusion header on them. Not sure how to set that stuff up, but it's something to look into.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Go with a solid Gaming laptop . 

keep a monitor and kbd/mouse for use in dorm room. 

best of both worlds and you wont really suffer performance issues with a solid gaming laptop even if your encoding ect it will do the job. 

you would be surprised how for instance a nice MSI unit with 970/980m & I7-4980HQ Processor performs for all functions its essentially a desktop replacement and you can take it with you when your not @ your dorm room.

And if you want lighter you can go with their GS series 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block