Data migration

destroyer8769

Hi LTT forum!

I recently got an ssd and i was wondering what was the best way to keep data but get rid of os on older hdd.

Here are the options i am thinking of:

1. Put important things on usb. (pros-easy, cons-loss of games etc)

2. (if possible) put files on a separate partition of the drive(pros- keep everything, cons-unknown if i can)

3. Try and get another hdd and put files on that(pros-easy, keep everything, cons-expensive)

P.S. How do you re-install an os with the same key and will it keep my windows 10 reservation notification?

I think you'll need to clone the HDD onto the SSD, keeping your Windows install. However, you can choose non-Windows-critical files to be moved to another drive.

This video may help:

Sig under construction.

Cloning software is a possibility. What SSD did you buy? Most manufacturers have data migration software available after an SSD purchase.

Redo Backup, Acronis True Image, AOMEI Backupper, Clonezilla, and Macrium Reflect are all good options.

I have used them all and personally like Redo Backup the best, but it can be finicky with UEFI/Windows 8.1 if not set with legacy boot support.

I think you'll need to clone the HDD onto the SSD, keeping your Windows install. However, you can choose non-Windows-critical files to be moved to another drive.

This video may help:

Thanks, ill check that our in a minute.

I meant to mention, I only have one hdd available right now so should I make a new partition and move all but my windows there and then transfer that windows only partition to my ssd?

This video may help:

Omg. First time in ever I have had this much fun watching a video. That was amazing.  eec.jpg

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Thanks, ill check that our in a minute.

I meant to mention, I only have one hdd available right now so should I make a new partition and move all but my windows there and then transfer that windows only partition to my ssd?

If there's space on the HDD, this is probably the best option.

Sig under construction.

If there's space on the HDD, this is probably the best option.

Ok, i've screwed up, i tried to make a new partition, followed all the steps but the partition wont work (says its corrupted) so now i have 500GB of wasted space on my hdd. Anyone know how to clear that?

P.S its a vhd file and when i try to delete it says it is being used by system.

ok so that has been cleared and i'll take another run at it one the weekend. Anyway, i have a few questions, how would i transfer all my non- os data to the new partition? (i assume just dragging and dropping from my docs, my photos, etc, and after ive installed the ssd just drag them back). Also, should i leave all the other stuff untouched or is there more i should taken (what i mean is don't touch the C: drive and only transfer my games etc).

I think i should just do a clean install of OS apps and keep things like games and photos etc on an external hdd.

P.S, what happens if two drives, both with os are in a system at the same time?

What if i move all my games, photos, some programs, etc to my hdd's new partition. and then format the old partition after i have done a clean os install on my ssd (with hdd un-plugged of course), would that work? 

Also, how can i put some programs on ssd and some on hdd if the x86 and  and program files are on the os drive?

---edit---

can you format only part of a drive and keep a virtual hard drive with my data on it un-formatted?

also, what will happen if i install my os onto my ssd while itis still on my hdd?