GTX 980 Crashing recently

MrHaMeLi

So i have been playing The Witcher 3 at Ultra settings and downsampling for the last couple of days with no crashes at all, yesterday i couldn't play the witcher 3 at all, each time i get into the game it instantly crashes, i tried playing League of Legends the game ran for 3 hours perfectly with no fps drops nor crashes, so i decided to run unigine heaven then the pc crashed with a black screen then no-dvi signal just like witcher 3 crashes.

I decided to run a FurMark stress test but as soon as i click the Burn-in test i get the black screen again.

My GPU drivers are up to date since 18/5/2015

The GPU is running on stock clock

CPU is overclocked using Asus AI Tweak for a couple of months with no problems

PC Specs

Gigabyte GTX 980 G1

Intel 4930k

Asus x79-Deluxe

Corsair Vengence LP 16 gb (4x4GB)

Corsair RM850

CPU is liquid cooled temps around 55*C on heavy load. 30*C Idle

GPU temps around 75*C on heavy load. 40*C Idle

Any ideas?

So i have been playing The Witcher 3 at Ultra settings and downsampling for the last couple of days with no crashes at all, yesterday i couldn't play the witcher 3 at all, each time i get into the game it instantly crashes, i tried playing League of Legends the game ran for 3 hours perfectly with no fps drops nor crashes, so i decided to run unigine heaven then the pc crashed with a black screen then no-dvi signal just like witcher 3 crashes.

I decided to run a FurMark stress test but as soon as i click the Burn-in test i get the black screen again.

My GPU drivers are up to date since 18/5/2015

The GPU is running on stock clock

CPU is overclocked using Asus AI Tweak for a couple of months with no problems

PC Specs

Gigabyte GTX 980 G1

Intel 4930k

Asus x79-Deluxe

Corsair Vengence LP 16 gb (4x4GB)

Corsair RM850

CPU is liquid cooled temps around 55*C on heavy load. 30*C Idle

GPU temps around 75*C on heavy load. 40*C Idle

Any ideas?

You could try to Underclock it a little bit and maybe Increase the voltage a TINY bit. Also try re-seating the GPU. If that doesn't work you could try to RMA it.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

You could try to Underclock it a little bit and maybe Increase the voltage a TINY bit. Also try re-seating the GPU. If that doesn't work you could try to RMA it.

Thanks man, i have changed the GPU socket and ran a FurMark stress test with no crashes at all :).  

my GTX 770 had the same problem with the same mobo. What could be the reason that caused the crashes?

Thanks man, i have changed the GPU socket and ran a FurMark stress test with no crashes at all :).  

my GTX 770 had the same problem with the same mobo. What could be the reason that caused the crashes?

Maybe the PCIe slot that you were using was faulty. Hence no crashes when changing slots. :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM