strange windows boot

ExcitezR

so i just reinstalled windows 8.1 pro and it did this before but for some reason i can hear one of my hard drives accessing things when i boot this is strange because windows is on the SSD and when i installed windows i unplugged all other drives why is it doing this

Note the hard drive its accessing for no reason is where i keep all my ISO files do you think its trying to read them    

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

All hard drive will "spin up" in the boot process. Windows when it boots needs to know what it has connected to it as well. (other hard drives) as well as the wonderful file indexer.......... It is the nature of the beast. Not just spying on your stuff......

Did I help you to fix your problem or at least did offer somewhat valuable advice? Consider giving my post a "informative" or "thumbs up".

SYSTEM 2: Modded G3 case with Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2L, Intel E8600 (O.C to 4.2GHz.), 4GB GSkill PC8500, Nvidia 8800GTS (512M), Cooling provided by Scythe Big Shrunkin, HDD 1 = OSX 10.9.5, HDD 2 = Windows 7 Pro X64. (Placed 3rd in MacMod  of the year 2012) (For info see:  http://insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285641-and-the-winner-for-macmod-of-2012-is/

LAPTOP: Inspiron 1720, Modded BIOS, X9000 Core 2 extreme OC'ed and undervolted to 3.4GHz (windows only) , 6GB DDR2 800, 8600M GT, 1920x1200 Glossy display, Sigmatel Audio, 2 Kingston HyperX 120GB drives (1 with Windows 7 x64 pro & 1 with OSX 10.9.5) X9000 Processor World Record Holder since 02/2013 on Geekbench 2 : http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench2/search?dir=desc&q=x9000&sort=score

All hard drive will "spin up" in the boot process. Windows when it boots needs to know what it has connected to it as well. (other hard drives) as well as the wonderful file indexer.......... It is the nature of the beast. Not just spying on your stuff......

yeah  i guessed that they all spin up but even after that during the boot process only one hard drive is being accessed i might unplug it to see if i notice a difference because it seems to slow the boot up  

PC PART PICKER

Has that drive ever had windows installed on it, if the partition has a system flag on it then it will be checked for boot data.

Has that drive ever had windows installed on it, if the partition has a system flag on it then it will be checked for boot data.

no but it was original a external hard drive from WD which i took out the casing and used inside the desktop + its been through like 15 different windows installs 

PC PART PICKER

it has also had VM's on that drive could that be it 

PC PART PICKER

VMware vm's or Hyper-V/VirtualPC if there are VHDs on there it might look at them?

have a look in Disk Mangment, attach a screen shot if you can so we can see the flags against the drive/partition.

have a look in Disk Mangment, attach a screen shot if you can so we can see the flags against the drive/partition.

had a look and they where all primary but the main SSD was set as boot able nothing else was  

hey guys so i just unplugged the hard drive that was being used at start up and it boots up so much faster even thought there is still other hard drives in the system do you think is because it has them ISO on there or because it hasn't been formatted in 3 or so years or because its a old WD green 

PC PART PICKER

It's more likely the age than the content, windows pre-boot won't know what ISOs are,  WD Greens have never been quick drives.

I'd consider replacing the drive, at the least run CrystalDisk Info and check the drive, maybe backup and format it just to be sure.

It's more likely the age than the content, windows pre-boot won't know what ISOs are,  WD Greens have never been quick drives.

I'd consider replacing the drive, at the least run CrystalDisk Info and check the drive, maybe backup and format it just to be sure.

yeah i think its the age of the drive its not an important drive just holds ISO's and backups the main Hard drive is a HGST 3TB 7200RPM drive. the speed of the WD green is about 80-100MB's and the HGST is about 175MB's. 

im just going to run it in an external doc and use it when i need it 

PC PART PICKER