Hackintosh Build Planning

My goal is to build a family computer running OS X. Purposes would be general web browsing and YouTube as well as some gaming. I wanna build something that relatively inexpensive now but can be upgraded as needs change. I'd like to get into some video editing of GoPro videos down the road. Below is a parts list I compiled on pcpartpicker. I have an H100i in there as something to add later if I decided I wanted to overclock and I only have a 120GB SSD as all my media is on an external HD for now. I'd like to stick to the Pandora case because it the best looking case I've seen which I know is completely subjective. I leave the question to you guys on the forum, do you see any parts that could be swapped for cheaper equivalent components and just general critiques. This is my first build so any input would be welcomed. Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked

Case: BitFenix Pandora Core

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W

Total: $747.80

Why a H97 board? And an unlocked CPU that is liquid cooled? You can not overclock on a H97 board. I suggest either getting a Z97 board, or getting a i5 4690 and use the stock cooler.

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

Why a H97 board? And an unlocked CPU that is liquid cooled? You can not overclock on a H97 board. I suggest either getting a Z97 board, or getting a i5 4690 and use the stock cooler.

My goal is to build a family computer running OS X. Purposes would be general web browsing and YouTube as well as some gaming. I wanna build something that relatively inexpensive now but can be upgraded as needs change. I'd like to get into some video editing of GoPro videos down the road. Below is a parts list I compiled on pcpartpicker. I have an H100i in there as something to add later if I decided I wanted to overclock and I only have a 120GB SSD as all my media is on an external HD for now. I'd like to stick to the Pandora case because it the best looking case I've seen which I know is completely subjective. I leave the question to you guys on the forum, do you see any parts that could be swapped for cheaper equivalent components and just general critiques. This is my first build so any input would be welcomed. Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked

Case: BitFenix Pandora Core

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W

Total: $747.80

change motherboard like Alex said and get a hyper 212 evo if your not OCing

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

If I understand correctly a z97 board gives me the option to OC in the future but while I'm running a stock speeds the stock cooler should suffice?

change motherboard like Alex said and get a hyper 212 evo if your not OCing

I looked at a hyper 212 but I don't think it would fit in the Pandora case. I could be wrong however

If I understand correctly a z97 board gives me the option to OC in the future but while I'm running a stock speeds the stock cooler should suffice?

Yes the stock cooler should do just fine if you do not overclock.(although it might be a bit loud) It will also work on any board that supports your CPU's socket.

RIG: CPU: i5 6600k @4.8GHz 1.34v  CPU Cooler: H100i  Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR  RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 2400 (2x8GB)

HDD: Seagate Baracuda 2TB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB/PNY 240GB  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970  PSU: EVGA G2 650W

Please use PcPartPicker, and paste the "BB" code when posting your build!

Like other people in this thread are saying - either get a Z97 board or get a locked CPU. If you choose to go the Z97 route then it would be sense to buy beefier cooling since you'd be overclocking it, but other than that there's not much of a point.

From my experience from hackintoshing, the compatibility of your parts looks fine. I'm not sure if there are any issues with H-series chipset motherboards, but I think they should be fine (if you choose to get that motherboard).

Depending on what games you play, you might want to spend a little bit more money in your graphics card cause a 750Ti doesn't cut it for a lot of modern games if you wanna run them on something like high.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Like other people in this thread are saying - either get a Z97 board or get a locked CPU. If you choose to go the Z97 route then it would be sense to buy beefier cooling since you'd be overclocking it, but other than that there's not much of a point.

From my experience from hackintoshing, the compatibility of your parts looks fine. I'm not sure if there are any issues with H-series chipset motherboards, but I think they should be fine (if you choose to get that motherboard).

Depending on what games you play, you might want to spend a little bit more money in your graphics card cause a 750Ti doesn't cut it for a lot of modern games if you wanna run them on something like high.

Yes from the research I've done compatibility with Hackintoshing was my major concern. I want the ability to OC in the future so per your guys recommendations I'll swap the h97 for the z97 and drop the H100i and run the stock cooler till the time comes to OC.

Yes from the research I've done compatibility with Hackintoshing was my major concern. I want the ability to OC in the future so per your guys recommendations I'll swap the h97 for the z97 and drop the H100i and run the stock cooler till the time comes to OC.

In that case I'd say there's a 99.9% chance you won't run into any compatibility issues. You never know about that 0.1% chance though trust me. Stuff happens during hackintoshing that you wouldn't normally expect (at least in my experience).

You could always buy something like a Hyper 212 to OC if you can't fit the H100i into your budget at the moment. If you don't mind waiting though, then go for the H100i.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

In that case I'd say there's a 99.9% chance you won't run into any compatibility issues. You never know about that 0.1% chance though trust me. Stuff happens during hackintoshing that you wouldn't normally expect (at least in my experience).

You could always buy something like a Hyper 212 to OC if you can't fit the H100i into your budget at the moment. If you don't mind waiting though, then go for the H100i.

I don't mind waiting in order to do it right. I want this to last for some time to come. As I said prior I have no experience building a computer so I wanted to gather all the knowledge I could put together a list and see what ppl with more experience than me think about it.

So here's a updated list.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Micro Center)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.49 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.10 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($46.76 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Case: BitFenix Pandora Core MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $668.31

Look solid?