How Do I Use MemTest86?

Go to solution Solved by FruitBasketSilex,

I looked in the BIOS and there is an option called Boot Override which lets you boot from a drive Once, so I could just choose the USB stick in the Boot Override. Would That Work.

ASUS Boards don't have a boot priority system like the MSI Ones do

That would work just fine (and it should have one, every pc i've seen has had one, but whatever the case may be, boot override will work perfectly)

When I go to the site, It gives me the option for the ISO or USB, What does this mean? 

How do I use Memtest, I have ben having BlueScreens and think It could be memory

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

MB: ASUS Z97-A I SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB I HDD: WD Black 1TB

When I go to the site, It gives me the option for the ISO or USB, What does this mean?

How do I use Memtest, I have ben having BlueScreens and think It could be memory

Iirc it is a bootable program, so you must put it on a flash drive and boot from that.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Iirc it is a bootable program, so you must put it on a flash drive and boot from that.

So, I would plug it in, Then go into the BIOS and Boot off of the USB Stick

How would I boot off the stick?

Could I still get into Windows after, I have an ASUS Z97 Board

Case: Define R5 I GPU: G1 GTX 970 I CPU: i5 4690k I RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X I PSU:  EVGA 750B2 I Cooler: Noctua NH D15 

So, I would plug it in, Then go into the BIOS and Boot off of the USB Stick

How would I boot off the stick?

Could I still get into Windows after, I have an ASUS Z97 Board

What you would have to do is put the files on a usb stick, plug it into your computer, and then restart, go to your bios, and change the USB stick to the highest priority to boot from, rather than your drive, save settings, it should reboot, and then automatically boot into the usb stick, after you're done with memtest, you just restart, go to bios, put your drives back at highest priority, and remove the usb stick, and boot. That'll take you back into windows.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

What you would have to do is put the files on a usb stick, plug it into your computer, and then restart, go to your bios, and change the USB stick to the highest priority to boot from, rather than your drive, save settings, it should reboot, and then automatically boot into the usb stick, after you're done with memtest, you just restart, go to bios, put your drives back at highest priority, and remove the usb stick, and boot. That'll take you back into windows.

I looked in the BIOS and there is an option called Boot Override which lets you boot from a drive Once, so I could just choose the USB stick in the Boot Override. Would That Work.

That would work just fine (and it should have one, every pc i've seen has had one, but whatever the case may be, boot override will work perfectly)

Spoiler

Ok Thanks, I'll run it

Sorry but I have a question again, When I get into Memtest86, How would I go about leaving and booting into Windows

I presume that you're testing the memory in your new rig. 

Try LinX instead - video guide here: 

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

Sorry but I have a question again, When I get into Memtest86, How would I go about leaving and booting into Windows

Turning off your computer as normal once the test is done.

Spoiler

Turning off your computer as normal once the test is done.

I've heard people complain of the test running forever and never finishing, Is there a button I can push to end the test or can i just shut off the PC while the test is running, If I use boot override then it should just boot me back into Windows After.

I've heard people complain of the test running forever and never finishing, Is there a button I can push to end the test or can i just shut off the PC while the test is running, If I use boot override then it should just boot me back into Windows After.

I have never used memtest, so I don't know. I believe the power button would do it. It tests your ram, and ram is deleted upon power off so just powering off should do nothing bad.

Spoiler

I have never used memtest, so I don't know. I believe the power button would do it. It tests your ram, and ram is deleted upon power off so just powering off should do nothing bad.

Hey FruitBasketSilex, I have the USB Formatted and plugged in but in the BIOS, It gives me three USB options for the USB, 

Lexar USB FlashDrive

UEFI: (FAT) LEXAR USB Flashdrive 

UEFI: (FAT) Lexar USB Flashdrive

The FAT one shows up twice for some reason, Which one do I click

Lexar is the USB Company BTW

Hey FruitBasketSilex, I have the USB Formatted and plugged in but in the BIOS, It gives me three USB options for the USB,

Lexar USB FlashDrive

UEFI: (FAT) LEXAR USB Flashdrive

UEFI: (FAT) Lexar USB Flashdrive

The FAT one shows up twice for some reason, Which one do I click

Lexar is the USB Company BTW

Should be lexar USB flash drive, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pick the wrong one.

Spoiler

Should be lexar USB flash drive, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pick the wrong one.

Ok, I ran it and there were no errors, Thanks A Ton!

Ok, I ran it and there were no errors, Thanks A Ton!

No problem man, have a good day!

Spoiler