WD Blue or Seagate Barracuda for game recording?

Like the title says, i am looking for a hard drive configuration, (no RAID) that is fast enough to record games (my MB has SATA III) and stores some of my data at the same time, with a minimum of another 2TB. My OS, games and programmes are on a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD. Photos, music, recordings etc. are stored on a 1TB WD Blue and there isn't really something to complain about, except for the capacity. 

The games are recorded via dxtory, using the UtVideo Codec, which has a bitrate of about 74 MB/s (if i did the math correctly; filesize: 293GB , video length: 1 hour, 6 minutes and 27 seconds) and my WD Blue has a write speed of about 150-160 MB/s in the dxtory benchmark. According to that, a WD Blue should be fast enough for recording, right? 

So my question is: should i go with a 2/3TB Seagate Barracuda or 2x WD Blue 1TB? Now you might be asking: why 2x WD Blue 1TB? The answer is: I had no problems with my WD Blue for 14 months at all, with 2 more drives, the speed problem would be out of the way, because dxtory can use more than 1 drive for recording (if you didn't know already) and a 2TB WD Black is more expensive, than 2x WD Blue 1TB.

I am also not sure about the reliability and noise with the Barracuda series, because i read that they would have some issues with rattling and fail often. Is that true? Are WD Drives more reliable and quieter than Seagate Drives? And which configuration would you choose?

Sorry, if i misspelled something or did anything grammatically wrong. I am used to write and speak german :)

With my personal experience, I'd go for the WD drives. I've gone through 2 Seagate Barracuda drives because they've failed on me (1 failed after a year, the other after about 7 months). Now I use WD and haven't had any issues. The blues run quiet and are plenty fast, at least for what I use them for (data, music, videos, games, etc).

Like the title says, i am looking for a hard drive configuration, (no RAID) that is fast enough to record games (my MB has SATA III) and stores some of my data at the same time, with a minimum of another 2TB. My OS, games and programmes are on a Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD. Photos, music, recordings etc. are stored on a 1TB WD Blue and there isn't really something to complain about, except for the capacity. 

The games are recorded via dxtory, using the UtVideo Codec, which has a bitrate of about 74 MB/s (if i did the math correctly; filesize: 293GB , video length: 1 hour, 6 minutes and 27 seconds) and my WD Blue has a write speed of about 150-160 MB/s in the dxtory benchmark. According to that, a WD Blue should be fast enough for recording, right? 

So my question is: should i go with a 2/3TB Seagate Barracuda or 2x WD Blue 1TB? Now you might be asking: why 2x WD Blue 1TB? The answer is: I had no problems with my WD Blue for 14 months at all, with 2 more drives, the speed problem would be out of the way, because dxtory can use more than 1 drive for recording (if you didn't know already) and a 2TB WD Black is more expensive, than 2x WD Blue 1TB.

I am also not sure about the reliability and noise with the Barracuda series, because i read that they would have some issues with rattling and fail often. Is that true? Are WD Drives more reliable and quieter than Seagate Drives? And which configuration would you choose?

Sorry, if i misspelled something or did anything grammatically wrong. I am used to write and speak german :)

Hello OriginalTim and welcome to Linus Tech Tips forum :)

if the bitrate is about 75MB/s pretty much any new HDD would do the job. Since you already have good experience with WD Blue, the drive is a good option as it is perfectly capable of recording gameplay. I could also suggest checking out WD Black as they reach higher capacities and work even faster with features that optimize performance for multitasking and can sustain harsher environments. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=wIoh5C

Feel free to ask if you happen to have any questions :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/