POE through USB-C?

Sleppo

Hi

So as most of you might know, the new Macbook has one USB-C port, and a mini jack port. That's it. 

I have this idea that you might be able to power it/ charge it with an ethernet adapter/cable that has POE (power over ethernet). 

I dont know if such an adapter exists, or if its even possible. I dont have a lot of experience with POE and i don't know if it would have the voltage to power it. I think the Macbook needs about 1.5v or something( not quite sure). 

My idea is to have an adapter ("ethernet female" to "usb-c male"). plug that into the computer. Then have like a nano powerline adapter and some sort of POE. Then plug that into the computer. 

Then you might ask, why would you even bother doing this? My answer would be: Because i'm curious. And if you're in a place with bad wi-fi coverage you would be able to plug it in and have a stable connection + not run out of juice.

I do realize that it's quite some wires to carry around. But face it, you're gonna carry some cables anyway. 

Well if you have any thoughts or ideas about this feel free to share. I might make an update if i can make it work once i know more.

Have a nice day

I doubt that POE will be able to supply enough power to charge the macbook, though I may be incorrect.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I doubt that POE will be able to supply enough power to charge the macbook, though I may be incorrect.

On my friend's PC it's enough for it to keep USB devices charging. 

Not really relevant but still kinda relevant 

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

On my friend's PC it's enough for it to keep USB devices charging. 

Not really relevant but still kinda relevant 

mhm, very interesting. 

The Macbook has a "tablet like" processor so i might be doable. 

Macbook uses 20[V] not 1.5 ;)

20[V] * 1.45[A] = 29[W]

In theory it should be possible to make such an adapter from ethernet(poe) to USB-C.

But I have my doubts we will see it anytime soon ;)

edit:

PoE is about 50[V]

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Macbook uses 20[V] not 1.5 ;)

20[V] * 1.45[A] = 29[W]

In theory it should be possible to make such an adapter from ethernet(poe) to USB-C.

But I have my doubts we will see it anytime soon ;)

edit:

PoE is about 50[V]

you can step down the 48 v from poe to 20v for the macbook (many poe devices do this because most also support 12/24v input)

would be interesting to see something like this, also for the chromebook pixel

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

• 2 years later...