Spec-01 Build Thoughts

TheCaptain53

So I bought myself a couple of parts for my PC the other day: a Corsair Carbide Spec-01 mid-tower case and an EVGA SuperNova 650W G1.

Picking it up today from someone else's house, I started the build.

It looks really good, but it is a lot smaller than I had anticipated. While this isn't a huge problem, anyone thinking of water cooling may have to do some careful planning or splash out on a new case. There isn't a huge amount of room at the top to mount a radiator and fans. It may work with an AIO water cooler, but I think a custom loop is pretty much off the cards (unless you're clever and get a dual 5.25" bay reservoir instead).

It only came pre-installed with one 120mm fan, which was mounted to the front. Having bought a Corsair AF140 at the same time, I mounted this to the front and moved the 120mm fan to the rear as exhaust. This is where I encountered my first problem.

The case and the fan I bought didn't come with rubber grommets, so I just had to do a botch job and torque some large screws into the fan, essentially threading it. Fortunately, the clear plastic did not crack or snap. Whilst I'm not overly happy with what I had to do, I'll probably be swapping it out at some point in the future anyway for a better 120mm fan. So, I'm not too fussed. 

The cable management was a bit of a ball ache on this one. Trying to mount the motherboard with the 4-pin CPU power already pre-cable managed was difficult, but I persevered and it was mounted.

Getting the side panel on was a bit of a nightmare as well. There isn't a huge amount of space behind the motherboard tray for cables to go. Cable tie was out of the question, so I just did some rearranging and popped the side panel back on. It's not bulging or anything, so at least that's a good sign.

Overall, I'm really happy with this case. Yeah, it was a slight challenge in parts of it, but it looks good and has a pretty clear path for air to flow. It looks clean as well.

Would definitely recommend. Maybe not to someone who's a first time builder as some botching had to be done (which is unfortunate considering where the product is placed in the market), but it is a great case. :)

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/