NUC Questions

JebKerman

My mother needs a new PC, she has an old Celeron laptop and can't stand how slow it is (takes an age to perform fairly simple tasks)

It would be nice if it was small (Mini-ITX actually being pointlessly big) and it would only be used for things like storing a viewing photos, basic Microsoft office, maybe a bit of web-surfing.

So we've turned to NUCs, looking primarily at Gigabyte's BRIX series. I know for sure that it'll be one that supports a 2.5" HDD for storage. But the rest of the specs, particularly the CPU we're unsure of as we're trying to go as cheap as possible.

Would this be enough to perform such aforementioned tasks reasonably quickly? (the processor in particular)

Gigabyte BRIX BXi3H-5010 (i3 at 2.1GHz with onboard Intel 5500 graphics)

4GB of 1600MHz SODIMM

WD Black 500GB 2.5" HDD

All for around $550 AUD

Oh, and i'm guessing that the NUC doesn't com pre-equipped with an OS. so make that about $685 unless someone's got a free Win7/8.1 64 bit key lying around.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

that's really what they are designed for, everyday pc usage by the avg joe. They do have a gaming grade one but come on now. I am actually about to get a brix myself, mostly because it looks better then the intel nuc. It's really a laptop type system in a box. 

Only those things? yeah.

If your budget is limited, then you should look for cases like the M350 to save some money for an SSD

This is a signature.