2nd Build

Justin_101

($200) - Intel Core i5-3470

($20) - COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 RR-910-HTX3-G1

($170) - Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

($220) - EVGA 02G-P4-2660-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB

($185) - ASUS Xonar Essence STX

($135) - Das Keyboard Professional

=

$1,005

??? = PSU, Motherboard, Memory, Hardrive

I don't OC. 1 Monitor. 720p. Gaming: Crysis 2, STALKER:COP + Mods, TES: Oblivion

Onboard sound is usually pretty good these days so unless you want the Xonar for a specific reason I'd hold off on that. You can always add it in afterward if you try the onboard audio and it isn't good enough.

For max settings on games you'll need something more potent than a 660 usually. Depends on the game though. I'd recommend a 670 or at least a 660 Ti.

For the power supply I'd get the SeaSonic SSR-550RM. You don't need more than 550W for basically any single GPU setup.

The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a good option for the motherboard.

As far as memory goes you just need 2x4GB of DDR3 1600. Don't invest extra money into super RAM speed or giant capacities, the effect won't be much compared to a bump in the GPU. I'd recommend getting RAM from G.SKILL. Corsair Vengeance is also popular but it doesn't fit under a lot of popular heatsinks so I'd avoid it.

Hard drive, get WD Blue or WD Black.

Why oh why do people keep trying to defend onboard audio? Its crap, plain and simple a 20$ sound card or DAC will EASILY sound better than onboard. As in blind tests you can tell that a sound card or DAC is better. For a MOBO the MSI Z77 G45 is really good for 100$. If you want there's the G43 if you need PCI. PSU basically any Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, OCZ, Coolermaster one will do fine. Hardrive just pick up a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB or something. Memory pretty much any 2x4 GB 1600 RAM will do fine.

Onboard sound is usually pretty good these days so unless you want the Xonar for a specific reason I'd hold off on that. You can always add it in afterward if you try the onboard audio and it isn't good enough.

For max settings on games you'll need something more potent than a 660 usually. Depends on the game though. I'd recommend a 670 or at least a 660 Ti.

For the power supply I'd get the SeaSonic SSR-550RM. You don't need more than 550W for basically any single GPU setup.

The ASRock Z77 Extreme4 is a good option for the motherboard.

As far as memory goes you just need 2x4GB of DDR3 1600. Don't invest extra money into super RAM speed or giant capacities, the effect won't be much compared to a bump in the GPU. I'd recommend getting RAM from G.SKILL. Corsair Vengeance is also popular but it doesn't fit under a lot of popular heatsinks so I'd avoid it.

Hard drive, get WD Blue or WD Black.

I politely disagree, and Linus would agree with me. Read my comment.

Why does everyone automatically assume onboard audio is crap? He will notice more of a difference by not spending close to $200 to replace an existing service and use the money to buy both an SSD, a better monitor or a 660TI.

It's a subjective thing, I haven't been bothered by my onboard audio personally. If you're attuned to that more than maybe you will be more sensitive. It's not as if there's a big "choice" to make here. It's quite simple to delay ordering the sound card and try onboard first, and if it's no good then you can get the sound card and add it in, it's not like it costs extra money to do that, and you might save some if you're not bothered by the onboard. For you personally it may not be good enough but different people have different sensitivity to that like I said.