Best gaming server OS?

jinroh10

Hello all I am in the middle of making a gaming server and needed to know what is the best OS to go with and what other software is needed to male it work properly? Please help..

what do you mean by "gaming server", something like having a PC dedicated to use as a server for online games?

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i

Depends on what the server software runs on.. (i'm half expecting this to be minecraft but i could be wrong) If you can get a linux compatible server binary then linux every time, being lightweight and stable. Ubuntu server would probably be the best bet if you can.. if not and only windows server binaries (unlikely, stupid idea..) then windows server of some kind, theres only two real options for this to be honest.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

what do you mean by "gaming server", something like having a PC dedicated to use as a server for online games?
Yes...for multiplayer gaming at my house. Or is there another way to do multiplayer gaming without having a dedicated server??