How does one do this .-. Windows 8.1

UR2BTOAST

Hi there!

I have purchased a new motherboard that has the z97 chipset. My current board has an H87 chipset. From what I've read and whatever, it's a good idea to re install windows after there is a change in hardware such as a new chipset. Here's my (slight) problem. The old board is an OEM board from an HP tower that I have since upgraded everything on aside from mobo and RAM. It has the windows product key embedded into the BIOS and came pre-installed with windows 8. I have used a product key retrieval program to find and write down the key. I did this once before when I moved by OS over to an SSD. My only question is.. now that the product key will no longer be embedded in the motherboard, will I have issues? I really really REALLY do not want to have to pay for another windows license. 

And also: I have a 1TB WD drive and a 120gb SSD. I use the SSD for booting and programs that I like having fast response on. When I install this new motherboard, I want to wipe both drives and do as close to a fresh install as I possibly can. I've had a few bugs here and there that I am hoping to get cleared up by the fresh install, and it never hurts anyway. I have to reinstall windows and that's half of the battle, why not go the extra distance and really do it right. 

I have all the other program discs and such that I will need to reinstall everything, thats not an issue. I also have ample drives to back all my data up. My [other] question is how do I wipe both drives completely, and is there a "correct" way to remove windows from them? The HD still houses an older version of windows from before I had the SSD. I want to uninstall both versions of windows and wipe both drives. Any info on how I can do this would be appreciated!

I don't know about the OEM-license re-usability, but I do know how to do the rest. There are two major options, the last one being the most secure format - but it may take several more hours to make the drives as clean as possible.

METHOD 1----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Make sure you got a bootable USB/DVD, this is the best way to do a clean install. You can make one by going to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media and follow the instructions. You already got the code, nice!

- Once EVERYTHING YOU NEED is backed up, install the new components.

- Insert the USB/DVD and boot. Immediatly keep pressing ESC/f2/f10/f12 (try all of these, right key depends on manufacturer) for BIOS/UEFI settings until the BIOS/UEFI interface pops up. Find the boot options and make sure that the USB/DVD is #1 boot option.

- Boot from USB/DVD (will automatically happen if you reboot after saving the settings in the BIOS/UEFI)

- Follow the installation instructions until you get to choose to update (DON'T!!!) or fresh install (DO!!!). Then format every partion you see (except for recovery, if you need the OEM things that are on there). Choose the SSD to install the OS on.

- After installation, restore the data you backed up

- You're done!

METHOD 2----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Make sure you got a bootable USB/DVD, this is the best way to do a clean install. You can make one by going to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media and follow the instructions. You already got the code, nice!

- Once EVERYTHING YOU NEED is backed up, install the new components. DO NOT FORMAT ANYTHING YET!!!

- Boot to Windows 8.1, go to settings > change PC-settings > update and recover > system recovery > boot with advanced options. Once you do that, you'll see the option for "remove everything and reinstall Windows". Click that option. You'll get to choose which drives you want to format (choose all of them) and then choose the secure format (second option) to completely erase everything making it almost impossible to recover any data from the drives after the format is complete. 

- Reinstall Windows on SSD and restore your data

- Have fun!

Wi RoZ