So ... this question might require some thinking. After ordering my 350D, I am looking for a good motherboard. Immediately, the VI Gene struck me as the 'Perfect One'. However looking at it closely, I realize it will only allow 2 2-slot GPU's or a single GPU and a single PCI 1x card. 

So as I wanted both SLI and a sound card, I thought of this: Once the first GPU is plugged in, attach a PCI ribbon extender from the 1x slot and connect it to the sound card and screw it in the 5th expansion slot of the 350D (no support from mobo). Finally stick the 2nd GPU in the 2nd pcie 16x slot and tuck the ribbon behind the GPU.

If you were able to follow, I have a few questions. 1) Will it work? 2) Will the tension from bracket hold up the sound card? 3) Will the mobo detect all cards and run them without a problem?

EDIT:

and no, please do not recommend the gigabyte one. (won't suit the color scheme). 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Have you purchased that sound card yet? If not, I'd suggest an external DAC/amp as they have more potential.

Have you purchased that sound card yet? If not, I'd suggest an external DAC/amp as they have more potential.

I haven't purchased one yet. However as I am a person who moves around a lot, I prefer not having external components. Also, My budget on a sound card is £50. With that, I'm planning on buying an asus xonar phoebus solo from a friend. (still brand new)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

I haven't purchased one yet. However as I am a person who moves around a lot, I prefer not having external components. Also, My budget on a sound card is £50. With that, I'm planning on buying an asus xonar phoebus solo from a friend. (still brand new)

Is a dual-GPU solution on a single graphics card an option, such as a GTX 690?

Is a dual-GPU solution on a single graphics card an option, such as a GTX 690?

Was kinda hoping you were going to read the tags. I am going to be buying the asus dcu2 780 and the second one sometime next year...(when I can afford one).

Sorry, my bad. Read the question wrong. Nah, I like single gpu cards.

Edited by HeathCliff
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Was kinda hoping you were going to read the tags. I am going to be buying the asus dcu2 780 and the second one sometime next year...(when I can afford one).

Sorry, my bad. Read the question wrong. Nah, I like single gpu cards.

Oh, didn't even notice. I looked in your signature and profile and couldn't find any information about it.

In all honesty I wouldn't recommend a sound card since external ones are more versatile and can be more powerful. I understand that you don't want to have yet another device hanging around but you should consider a pocket sized DAC/amp like the Fiio E11 which can be used even when not connected to your computer, such as with your phone.

Also keep in mind that sound cards with backplates are scarce, in fact I've never seen one before (if that's an issue to you).

Oh, didn't even notice. I looked in your signature and profile and couldn't find any information about it.

In all honesty I wouldn't recommend a sound card since external ones are more versatile and can be more powerful. I understand that you don't want to have yet another device hanging around but you should consider a pocket sized DAC/amp like the Fiio E11 which can be used even when not connected to your computer, such as with your phone.

Also keep in mind that sound cards with backplates are scarce, in fact I've never seen one before (if that's an issue to you).

Thanks for the info and the heads up. If it comes to worst, I'll just save up for a good quality one. Or I might just end up doing some serious modding.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler