BIP (Build In-Progress)

XeroCreator

So i'm almost done putting my first (well actually second) but FIRST gaming rig together, the first was just random parts i had available and that was just to run starcraft!

Anyway, on to the topic at hand.

The build in question is here : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xGHXNG

Partlist if you don't want to go through the link is...
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero 
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
GPU: Asus strix GTX970 4gb in SLI (still open to question as I do have a temp card to use before i upgrade to these, which is a really REALLY small gtx 620 2gb.)
RAM: 16gb 1866mhz Gskill sniper series ram (i read in a few places that any higher voltage over 1.5v would die out quicker??)
HDD: 2 1tb WD drives, probably swapping these into backup drives as I already have a 2tb drive to use
SSD: gonna pick up a 120gb ssd later for booting OS etc. 
PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova G2  80+Gold
Case: Inwin GR-One Black 
Other: standard blu-ray rw drive, sidewinder x4 keyboard (I won it from a ghosts tourny so luckily didn't need to buy one, maybe upgrade later., mouse is a etekcity Scroll X1 (surprisingly good, would recommend!)
Monitors: Getting a 27'' IPS as I"m a graphic designer, and possibly a 120-144hz for a gaming screen as I also plan to stream with this build. Sometimes using the IPS for setting up my streaming programs and the other monitor to actually play games on while streaming (sometimes console games)

So, the whole point of this, is just to ask what everyone thinks!

Obviously there is a budget for this build, but it's spread over a wide range so I'm able to get 1-2 parts a month sometimes. But, nonetheless It will be finished in a month or two now as I have the processor, case, mobo, psu, ram, and hdd out of the way, in other words the system is operational (well it will be once everything gets here).

Will of course post pictures when they are here! I'm also doing a YT video during build and when i upgrade the build with the new gfx card etc. 

So, what do you think?!

snip

Looks good but I would stick with 1tb drive and get a bigger SSD.

And why go with that air cooler and not a h100i? or something similar.

Looks good but I would stick with 1tb drive and get a bigger SSD.

And why go with that air cooler and not a h100i? or something similar.

Thanks!

I planned on a 240GB SSD, but i know they have set amounts of life so I really just wanted to keep using the SSD to a minimum, so basically just have the OS on it, i may get a secondary SSD later just to put games on as well. 240GB is what i'm most likely getting, but i'm under a budget so that's why i'm not getting it until later. 

I actually already have a 2tb drive, but i'm going to use the 2x1tb drives as backups in raid 1 (i think that's the copied data one) That way, everything is always protected because i've had one too many hard drives die. 

Also adding another 2tb later i'm getting from a friend that's still in the box so SCORE! :)

As far as the air cooling goes, that's what i'm mostly doing here, a silent air cooled system. and I have seen a similar build actually built similar (very) to this here: 

(i didn't actually see this video until i decided on all the parts together, and just kind of happened to be there lol)

Anyway, if any problems do arise, i'll be of course adding a water cooler to the processor, as at this point... that's what i'll be using the most with graphics design, rendering videos, streaming and gaming. 

Thanks again ! :) 

P.S. I noticed you had 2 asus strix 970 sli , how's that going? :) 

snip

P.S. I noticed you had 2 asus strix 970 sli , how's that going? :)

(970's are working like a dream.

I'm more a fan of liquid cooling because of the aesthetics and my h100i isn't any louder than most aircoolers. 

(970's are working like a dream.

I'm more a fan of liquid cooling because of the aesthetics and my h100i isn't any louder than most aircoolers. 

Sounds awesome! I'm still on the fence about 970's and 980's. because 980's are such a big price bump and I still have more than the gfx cards to get to complete the system.

Sounds awesome! I'm still on the fence about 970's and 980's. because 980's are such a big price bump and I still have more than the gfx cards to get to complete the system.

I'm running 2 Strix 970's and they've been performing like beasts! Unless you plan on playing in 4k, they should be great for you

Intel Core i7-4790K // Corsair H100i // MSI Z97A-GAMING 6 // 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz (Red) // OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD // 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD // 2x Asus GTX 970 STRIX(2-Way SLI) // Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) // Corsair RM 1000W // Asus DVD/CD Writer // Windows 8.1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running 2 Strix 970's and they've been performing like beasts! Unless you plan on playing in 4k, they should be great for you

Sounds great! (sorry for the really late reply). 

I'm thinking about a single 970 until the 980ti gets released. If it's under 700$ i'll be getting one of them, but if it's over 800, i'll more than likely just get another 970, as i'll be selling the 970 for about 250-300$ if I do get it. 

Do you ever run benchmarks on your pc? would be nice to see a few games max/min/average fps and how hot the 970's get. 

So, what do you think?!

It looks great! That motherboard is gorgeous. I'm super jealous of it right now... xD

Happy Gaming! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds great! (sorry for the really late reply). 

I'm thinking about a single 970 until the 980ti gets released. If it's under 700$ i'll be getting one of them, but if it's over 800, i'll more than likely just get another 970, as i'll be selling the 970 for about 250-300$ if I do get it. 

Do you ever run benchmarks on your pc? would be nice to see a few games max/min/average fps and how hot the 970's get. 

Under Full Load, I never get over 80 degrees on my top card and the bottom card is usually in the lower 70's. I plan on adding another case fan to blow directly on the cards and that should improve the temps even more =)

here's a couple benches

Resident Evil 6 bench, Hitman Absolution and Sniper Elite 3

post-214819-0-12513100-1431264757_thumb.

post-214819-0-89979700-1431264772_thumb.

post-214819-0-30038400-1431264784_thumb.

Intel Core i7-4790K // Corsair H100i // MSI Z97A-GAMING 6 // 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133Mhz (Red) // OCZ ARC 100 120GB SSD // 2x Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD // 2x Asus GTX 970 STRIX(2-Way SLI) // Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) // Corsair RM 1000W // Asus DVD/CD Writer // Windows 8.1