Windows Firewall Problems

Nee_Loo
Go to solution Solved by Beltboy,

You have your location set to public. windows firewall on a public network defaults to maximum lock-down nothing works (web pages should if they don't have plugins). It will also reset frequently on public to make sure anything on this "un-secure" network isn't affecting it.

This is the default when you connect via a mobile phone or Mifi or if you did not set the location when prompted when you first connected.

If your on a private network or your phone and have a decent password set, change your location to private (work/home).

Hello lads and lassies,

My current problem is to do with my laptop. The firewall appears to be resetting either when I boot up or just while I am using the machine. The only reason I realise the firewall has been turned off is that nothing on the computer can access the internet. Here is a picture of basically what comes up [http://i.imgur.com/P6KfmQj.png] Any feedback or suggestions on how to fix this problem would be appreciated. 

Here are the laptop specs if needed:

Name: Dell Inspiron 15R

CPU/GPU: Intel Core i5-4200U

HDD: Western Digital 1tb

RAM: 8gb

Misc: It has a touchscreen. McAfee Anti-virus (I cringe every time) Also has Skype, Steam etc.

Thanks,

Nee_Loo

Have you selected "Use Recommended Settings"? If not try it and see if it works.

If "Use Recommended Settings" doesn't work scan your computer for any malware or virus' on your computer, you may have downloaded something that causes your firewall to turn off every time your start up your laptop.

Hope this helps.

Well everytime it gets reset I just go and press "Use Recommended Settings" and everything works until it happens again. I will run a few scans and see what comes up.

You have your location set to public. windows firewall on a public network defaults to maximum lock-down nothing works (web pages should if they don't have plugins). It will also reset frequently on public to make sure anything on this "un-secure" network isn't affecting it.

This is the default when you connect via a mobile phone or Mifi or if you did not set the location when prompted when you first connected.

If your on a private network or your phone and have a decent password set, change your location to private (work/home).

If the scans return nothing then another option is:

1. Go to services

2. Look for "Windows Firewall"

3. Set the Startup Type to "Automatic". You can do this by double clicking on it the service and on the general tab change the drop down.

4. If it is already on "Automatic" then set it to another option press OK and then change it back to "Automatic" to update it in case it bugged out.

Hope this helped.

It was already on automatic so I switched it like you said.

I think this was what was most likely causing my problems. I switched it using this tutorial [http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9837-network-location-set-private-public-windows-8-a.html] which was very helpful.

Thanks for all the help!

Nee_Loo