my build:

Asus Maximus Formula V

Intel i7-3770K

Novatech Powerstation Black 850W

MSI PE GTX 670 two way SLI (factory OC)

16GB (4x4) Crucial Ballistix RAM

H100i Liquid cooler

Corsair Carbide 500r Case

NOTE: No OC apart from the 670s (factory OC)

I had put my build together, with everything looking nice yesterday. I even booted up Windows from my SSD. I ran prime95 for 12 hrs, maxing out the CPU, and not getting hotter than 60°C. I booted into memtester to make sure it was fine and passed with no errors. I then ran Furmark Burn In and got a score of 4104. I installed borderlands 2 thinking my work here was done, albeit much too soon. I got a BSOD after about 10 minutes, and I rebooted, slightly worried about my build. It did not boot. The PSU seemed to cut out whenever I pressed start. The motherboard would light up normally when plugged in, but when I press the start button the fans all spin up for about half a second, and then the motherboard goes blank, and the fans stop. The motherboard then turns itsself back on and starts, but cuts out again (this cycles until the PSU is turned off). After clearing the CMOS several times, reseating the cards, removing them, trying them out in different slots, I found out that they did not affect it. I tried moving and removing the RAM, one stick at a time, everything, still no luck. I unscrewed the H100i and removed the CPU (yes i know it will not post with no CPU). The motherboard powered on when i tried it and gave me the Q-code 00. This is labelled in the manual as not used, and i am in no doubt that it means there is no CPU. However when the CPU IS in the socket, then it does not work.

Please advise me on what I should do next and what the problem may be!

---------------------

I am but Human

---------------------

This same problem happened to my mobo, the msi-g43, and i just returned it and bought another one of the same kind. It worked fine after that. I'm sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for but... ya

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

I don't want to return it, although I probably should. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a fix?

Thanks for the quick reply to my post by the way!

---------------------

I am but Human

---------------------

A video that linus did a while back might help you its about no post diagnostics. If that fails then you may have to RMA the board.

If you are still having the same issue afterwards it is something else.

Try re installing the operating system that may have some how been corrupted.

Try running the sticks or ram individually one of them may have died and caused the computer to not post.

I tried everything in the video already, yet i highly doubt the OS is the cause, It was failing even without the boot drive.

---------------------

I am but Human

---------------------

is sending the board for RMA a possibility?

If thats the case, I would advice you to send the board and get a replacement.

This sounds like a damn shame considering that excellent build...

To be perfectly honest, and I know I'm just being optimistic here, but have you considered that it could be your h100i?

Quite often when a computer boots, if the cooler is not properly installed the computer will simply turn off

I've only experienced this issue with air coolers that aren't properly seated, but in a couple of cases it boots for a while, you log in, then it stops working... after failing to work, it can often turn off immediately after you switch it on.

My recommendation? Try replacing your h100i with your stock 3770K cooler (if it came with one)--that may be the issue.

Seriously I've had problems very very similar to what you're describing. Try the stock cooler first, and if it works you may need a replacement h100i or perhaps you didn't install it properly.

If it doesn't work... well, that's shitty.

Try running in ln2 mode.

Also try other sticks of RAM if possible. But it's most probably a board problem. I have the exact same CPU with the same board and had the same problem after modding the IHS. Been running ln2 for a few months now.

Hi

You really need to try and narrow things down a little so I would attempt the following to get some life out of your board.

Remove your graphics cards completely.

Remove all your drives.

Remove all but a single stick of ram.

Connect your display to hdmi/DP on the back of the motherboard.

Power on and see what happens, if you get the cycling problem try the Mem Go (MemOK) button to reset your ram to some really slow stable timing and see if that recovers you.

Are you getting any post audio codes (beeps)

If this doesn't work with absolute minimum hardware installed then as a last resort I would look at doing a bios flashback recovery which you can do with the board totally bare (at this point you'll have nothing to lose)

At the minute you've got too many variable in the system that could be causing a failure so you need to remove them to a point you have a system start and replace them incrementally. If you get nothing with single ram stick and cpu (after trying an alternative stick) then you've narrowed it down to 3 possibles. (CPU/MB/PSU)

Good luck, I've had similar panic situations myself which have been recovered from with some logical process of fault finding.

Lee

I have the same motherboard and it should post you a error code which you can look up in the manual