Hyper-V migration Server 2008 R2

Eniqmatic

I'm about to migrate one of our virtual web servers from one physical server to another so I can bring the first one down for a little clean-up. 

I've done this quite a number of times in the past but just wondered if anyone had any other input as to any further steps I could take. I'd like minimum downtime of the web server if possible. I don't have them setup in a cluster (yet) so I can't live migrate them. Both are running 2008 R2, however they are different hardware.

1. Export configuration from Hyper-V to a disk, copy that across to the second server.
  2. Copy the .vhd across from server to server.
  3. Import the .vhd and configuration on second server.
  4. Shutdown first one
  5. Start up second one.

This will only be temporary and will need to be moved back across to the original config afterwards. AS the web server is linux based, will it be OK with the change of hardware of the physical servers?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Lets call them server1 and server2 for ease here... You could map a network drive on server1 to \\server2\c$ (or whatever your virtuals directory is,) do an export to the network drive, shut down the VM on server1, and do an "import" ->  "restore the virtual machine" on server2. When done, reverse the process.

Alternately (and technically the proper way)... You can click the VM and on the right-hand action bar Enable Replication and replicate the VM to server2... Once it's done on server2 find the replicant and hit "replication" --> "failover." EDIT: whoops... sorry this is 2012 only.

Lets call them server1 and server2 for ease here... You could map a network drive on server1 to \\server2\c$ (or whatever your virtuals directory is,) do an export to the network drive, shut down the VM on server1, and do an "import" ->  "restore the virtual machine" on server2. When done, reverse the process.

Alternately (and technically the proper way)... You can click the VM and on the right-hand action bar Enable Replication and replicate the VM to server2... Once it's done shut it down on server1 and start it on server2.

Your top solution was exactly the process I was going to do, so glad we agree.

Solution 2, can this be done from 2008 R2? I never noticed the option is all, I'll definitely look into it!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Your top solution was exactly the process I was going to do, so glad we agree.

Solution 2, can this be done from 2008 R2? I never noticed the option is all, I'll definitely look into it!

Whoops... No, sorry.... Passive non-clustered replication was added in 2012.